Author Topic: adopted ancestor  (Read 1561 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: adopted ancestor
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 May 20 21:30 BST (UK) »
So did Eliza give up her son Frederick born 3.11.81 to be adopted?

Thoughts from christev needed please.
And please help clarify if any remarriage plus the death of Frederick
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 May 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
There is a potential marriage
Dec 1871 Guisborough 9d 1019
Bell, Eliza
Jackson, William

Now, on Yorkshire Marriages on a certain site it is
William George Jackson + Eliza Bell, married at Ormesby.

Has anyone got more details?
Was WG Jackson really the father of Frederick as per 1881 birth certificate? Why say he was Thomas, a groom, on the baptism just a couple of weeks later?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 31 May 20 22:18 BST (UK) »
I suspect William George is listed on the birth cert as he was married to Eliza, so was in law the boy's father, but actually wasn't, and the baptism is a bit nearer the truth

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 May 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
Mabel, I think you could be right about that. It doesn't make much sense otherwise.

We do know that Alfred was illegitimate
And interesting, in 1891, in St Maurice, there is an Alfred Jackson, 6, born York, Nurse Child
Piece 3891 folio 53 page 15
He is with the Waite family, all on previous page (folio 52 page 14)

John

Offline christev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
wow thank you everyone.While this still leaves a lot of questions it certainly gives me a lot of new leads to work on once I unscramble my brain
       I am really grateful for all your help.
lambert,precious,simpson,jackson,vincent,towell,

Offline BerkshireSteel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody

I have been researching this tree for my good college buddy Paul.  We went down all the dead ends mentioned above but only really sorted things using DNA analysis.

These are our findings.  Frederick Jackson was born on the 3rd November 1881 at 24 Dale Street, York.  His biological mother was Eliza Jackson nee Bell as discussed.  This has been proven through various DNA connections of Eliza Bell and Paul.  The father on the Fredericks birth certificate is William George Jackson who has also been mentioned above.  However we are 99% sure he is not the biological father.  There are no DNA connections from him.

William George Jackson was not around at the 1881 (April) Census when Eliza was back living with her parents and youngest child in Naburn up in Teesside where William George and Eliza both originated.  The other two elder children had been farmed out to her relatives.  We think William George died in 1882.  Eliza Bell has Alfred Shaw Jackson in 1885 in the York Union Workhouse with father unknown.  She describes herself as a widow.  She married Joseph Deighton in 1892 and they had their own family to add to both their chilldren from their previous marriages.

Frederick Jackson was adopted before 1891 when he appears in the 1891 census as adopted as  described above.

We are quite sure that Frederick's biological father was an Irish immigrant from west County Mayo, around Belmullet.  We have narrowed him down to about 3 families originating in that region based on DNA.  I think only further DNA analysis will help us actually identify Frederick's father but there is no guarantee.

I hope you find this useful and interesting.

Offline BerkshireSteel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 September 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
I add that the two Family Search documents were fascinating and useful.  Thanks for those and for all the other good stuff detailed in this thread.

The baptism record provides a name (Thomas) and an occupation (groom).  It reads like he is Thomas Jackson but I doubt that.  I think it is however Eliza Jackson and Frederick Jackson.

The slightly later vaccination record brings back in William George Jackson as "father" which only muddies the water even more!!!  But we keep at it!!

Offline SouthseaSteel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 February 24 17:01 GMT (UK) »
is there anybody out there still interested in this thread?