Author Topic: James Ralph Matthews (who are his parents) m. Lillian Tiffen Tasmania  (Read 9689 times)

Offline Peggle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Ralph Matthews (who are his parents) m. Lillian Tiffen Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 12:06 BST (UK) »
wivenhoe yes, Walter Clem's son was Clem Ralph Matthews.

matthew64 thanks for that info about the land too.

We,ve only just tonight got the birth certificate of Nettalie May born 28 Nov 1889 in Hood Street, Wilcannia, NSW. The informant on this is actually JR Matthews. He's listed as being a Bootmaker, aged 25 and born in Longford, Tas.
MATTHEWS James Ralph,TAS,Broken Hill,Wilcannia NSW,Australia.
TIFFEN Lillian,Castlemaine VIC,Wilcannia NSW, Australia
FURMSTON Ellesmere, Shropshire,ENG.
PERKINS Frank, Leicester, ENG. before 1930

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 12:24 BST (UK) »
wivenhoe yes, Walter Clem's son was Clem Ralph Matthews.

matthew64 thanks for that info about the land too.

We,ve only just tonight got the birth certificate of Nettalie May born 28 Nov 1889 in Hood Street, Wilcannia, NSW. The informant on this is actually JR Matthews. He's listed as being a Bootmaker, aged 25 and born in Longford, Tas.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,  My puter is not behaving,  sorry.

But I am sure there's several related families in the 1890s with the surname MATTHEWS in the  Wilcannia - Bourke  district.    I will get cracking on checking my own family history resources to see what I have.

In the meantime,  Peggle,  don't spend big dollars on the real deal certificates,  there's always the official transcription services ....   see this thread : https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=300394.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 12:43 BST (UK) »
1891 NSW Householders etc

Broken Hill, King,  Silverton.

Damaged pages, but left hand page, part way down, at Bonanza Mine  ... householder no. 375 by the enumerator

J MATTHEWS  1 male, 1 female.   

Notice several householders were recorded as 'Tent removed'   and notice also further down the left hand page 'Engine  Room'  ... and other Mines .... I wonder if J Matthews is 'Pebbles' chap,  and even if not,  if 'Engine Room' is for a stationary steam engine used to provide power to the various mine sites ... so the Engine Driver thoughts could turn to a stationary engine which of course requires a driver to operate (drive) the complex machine.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKKQ-N1Z7

JM

Currently coping with a Windows 7 puter that keeps reminding me it is only a Windows 7.   :D

ADD, try familysearch.org, and restrict your search to the 1891 NSW census  ;D https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2317858

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
ADD, try familysearch.org, and restrict your search to the 1891 NSW census  ;D https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2317858

JM ;D

Offline Peggle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 15:08 BST (UK) »
Ah the challenges we have with technology  ;)
I'm trying to master this touch pad while resisting the urge to drag a mouse out  ;D
Interestingly while looking into the witnesses, David and Johanna Pinnuck on James and Lillian's marriage certificate and also seeing Nettalie May Matthews place of birth (1889) as being Hood Street Wilcannia , I came across this link

http://www.nzrcranes.org/genealogy/geyer2.html

In it there's reference to David and Johanna living at a Hood Street Wilcannia address. Johanna is a nurse. They are noted as later living at 42 Bonanza Street, Broken Hill.
James Ralph and Lillian's next 2 children are born in Broken Hill and a 3rd in Sturt.

We did wonder if James' engine licence might relate to the operating of steam engines of sorts as is the requirement today for the men who operate and maintain historic steam engines that still exist.
If he was also working as a contractor digging dams on large properties, he may have also operated some kind of steam powered tractor/bulldozer type machine?

There also seems to be numerous Matthews/Mathews publicans in the region that need further investigation. Perhaps there's a connection of family there with those names for James Ralph Matthews and we should possibly consider that the two 't's in our Matthews name, may originally  only have been one 't'.

Offline Peggle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
The Silverton census listing is a good one, thank you and could be them.
It's so hard connecting the dots when it's just a name on paper. Iv'e spent hours scouring records on Familysearch until my eyeballs felt square...haha

In the 1887 Electoral Roll for Menindie property holders there was a James R Mathews, freehold,Momba.....another possible.

.......And it would be awesome to not have to pay $35 for a certificate for NSW
        whilst Vic certificates are currently $20   ???

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
Someone came across a James Ralph Matthews born in Emu Bay in 1870 but we can't access that one online either.

This could be a baptism, do you have any other details about this? It may be that he was born in Longford, but not baptised until later. I can submit a question to the archives here, but some more information would be useful to narrow it down.

M

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 00:29 BST (UK) »
 :D  :D  :D HOOD Street, Wilcannia  1902   :D  :D  :D

1902, NSW Electoral Roll for the electoral district of BARRIER and polling at Wilcannia.  First time for females aged 21 and over...  :D

Clara Matthews, Hood Street, domestic duties
NO OTHERS by that surname listed for that street. :-\

This is not the same roll as Ancestry's 1903-04 roll.  ;D

JM