Author Topic: James Ralph Matthews (who are his parents) m. Lillian Tiffen Tasmania  (Read 9687 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: James Ralph Matthews (who are his parents) m. Lillian Tiffen Tasmania
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 01:06 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1913 WILLYAMA, Wilcannia Polling Place

Clara MATTHEWS, Wilcannia, domestic duties

Note from JM .... no street names on the 1913 roll, and no others at Wilcannia polling place with that surname.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 01:13 BST (UK) »
 :D  PINNUCK as a surname (witnesses to the marriage)  :D

NSW ER 1902  BARRIER, Willyama polling place   (as in a suburb of Broken Hill)
George PINNUCK,  Argent Street, labourer 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 02:14 BST (UK) »

Western Grazier 19 Oct 1904 p2
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/138889048?
.......Arthur GOURLAY......paternity of girl born previous month to Grace GOODE or MATTHEWS.....mother of Grace is Clara MATTHEWS

NSW BDM marriage
3831/1884 GOODE  Edward   marr. MASKREY Clara   @ Bathurst

7170/1903 GOODE Clara       marr. MATTHEWS William   @ Wilcannia

George James MATTHEWS  #1680  # V16993   WW1 enlistment NOK Clara MATTHEWS

Offline Peggle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 02:20 BST (UK) »
matthewj64 that information re the 1870 Emu Bay birth was given as a possible for our James Ralph on a Facebook Genealogy page. We're still trying to pin down his real birth year as there's been so many inconsistencies with his ages as recorded on his children's birth certificates. Can't find a record tho to support that suggestion.....
James Ralph's daughter's birth certificate for Mary Ann Dorothy Louisa born 2 July 1896 at Torrowangee near Broken Hill, records his age as 30 suggesting he was born about 1866??
James is a Contractor and Lillian is the informant.
MATTHEWS James Ralph,TAS,Broken Hill,Wilcannia NSW,Australia.
TIFFEN Lillian,Castlemaine VIC,Wilcannia NSW, Australia
FURMSTON Ellesmere, Shropshire,ENG.
PERKINS Frank, Leicester, ENG. before 1930

Offline Peggle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 02:35 BST (UK) »
Yeooow...... my head hurts  :o :)
The Clara is interesting. Hmmmmm... There seems to be something with the Hood Street address.

There's a William J Matthews, Publican of the Miner's Arms Hotel, Silverton-Broken Hill listed for 1888,1890-1891.
MATTHEWS James Ralph,TAS,Broken Hill,Wilcannia NSW,Australia.
TIFFEN Lillian,Castlemaine VIC,Wilcannia NSW, Australia
FURMSTON Ellesmere, Shropshire,ENG.
PERKINS Frank, Leicester, ENG. before 1930

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 03:48 BST (UK) »
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/criminal-depositions-deposition-books-index
 - a James Ralph Matthews is in this index for 1887, false pretences at Wilcannia

If this is him it pushes the timeline back a couple years. Can't see any newspaper references - possible he was acquitted.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/64800011?searchTerm=%22James%20Matthews%22%20Ridgley
 - also very interest article from 1906
James Matthews of Ridgley was in the service of the EBR (Emu Bay Railway).
James Stirling, manager of the EBR, said he had known James Matthews for 13 or 14 years, and "he was with witness before he came to Tasmania", suggesting that they had worked together in NSW.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/68081353?searchTerm=%22James%20STirling%22%20%22EBR%22&searchLimits=
 - James Stirling previously managed the Tarrawingee Railway Company in NSW, which had a line running between Broken Hill and a quarry providing limestone for the smelters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrawingee_Tramway - this is the company.

James Stirling moved to Tasmania in 1897 which does seem to fit quite well with the movements of the Matthews - it appears that the need for limestone from the quarry ended about this time so perhaps James Stirling offered jobs in Tasmania to some of his previous employees.

Torrowangee on the birth certificate you have = Tarrawingee?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 04:38 BST (UK) »
The 1887 court action was NO BILLED image of court papers show this. 

ADD
So the police discontinued the prosecution ie they notified the court that they had NO BILL ...

JM.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 07:08 BST (UK) »
"...What details are recorded for Lillian.....her age?....her parents' names?.....her birthplace?"

My interest is specifically what is recorded on the marriage record, 1891.

What is recorded on the marriage certificate, 1891, by Lillian, about her origins?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for that link Debra, but therein lies another problem. My cousin has been in touch with the NSW Baptist Archives and received this response;
"The only Broken Hill marriage register I can find is 1939-41. Prior to the 1940's the Baptist churches were in the South Australian Baptist Union who may have the register for 1891"

Have you contacted the Baptist Union of South Australia?

Also,

What info  is recorded on the NSW birth cert of the first child to the couple after their marriage ... that should give you a possible start point, as it should give place of birth, and age for each of that baby's parents ....

JM.

The Baptist Union of South Australia dates back to the 1860s and their Archives ought to hold the registers for far western NSW circuits that were outreach from Adelaide and other churches in S.A. 

Also the State Library of S.A. holds various Baptist registers in  their Collections. 

It is possible that all the depth of detail required by NSW legislation was NOT obtained by South Australian based clergy BUT the details should at least meet S.A. requirements so you should at least learn what James Ralph and also Lillian knew about their respective fathers.... that is vital info for your research, to either validate info you already have or as a start point as it is provided by themselves to the clergy. 

JM