Author Topic: James Ralph Matthews (who are his parents) m. Lillian Tiffen Tasmania  (Read 9678 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Ralph Matthews (who are his parents) m. Lillian Tiffen Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 06:38 BST (UK) »
Only posting this so as not to lose it - nowhere near enough information to consider it's your man, however, the date fits, and his son was also named James.. :-\  However, the registration is at Launceston and the record states that the mother is resident in Launceston.

Births registered in the district of Launceston, 1862
Date of birth: 16 June 1862, column for the forename is blank,
Father: James MATTHEWS, letter carrier
Mother: Jane MATTHEWS, nee BOXALL, resident Launceston (Mother is the informant, and signs the record)
https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/search/results?qu=matthews&qu=james

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 07:14 BST (UK) »

What details are recorded for Lillian.....her age?....her parents' names?.....her birthplace?

Familysearch has birth registrations for Walter Clem (1902), Violet (1904) father James 36 years, Olive (1905) father James 40 years....with father's birthplace Tasmania.

Lillian is the informant. Lillian is giving information about James.

You need to see James Ralph MATTHEWS giving information about his age and birthplace.

Offline Peggle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 07:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks judb,
We have scoured the Tas Name Indexes and come across that one, but as you say, it's hard when there's so little info. There are actually quite a few possibles that could fit within a range of 5-10 years of his apparent birth year. It gets more confusing too because his age stated on various birth documents jumps around a bit and it's almost like he himself is not sure how old he actually is....
Someone came across a James Ralph Matthews born in Emu Bay in 1870 but we can't access that one online either.

And majm, thanks.
Will have a look into that firstborn in wedlock one
MATTHEWS James Ralph,TAS,Broken Hill,Wilcannia NSW,Australia.
TIFFEN Lillian,Castlemaine VIC,Wilcannia NSW, Australia
FURMSTON Ellesmere, Shropshire,ENG.
PERKINS Frank, Leicester, ENG. before 1930

Offline Peggle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 07:45 BST (UK) »
   wivenhoe thanks,

yeah, James' ages are all over the place.
   Lillian Tiffin was born 24 Sep 1870 in Campbell Creek, Victoria.

Her parents are;
   Robert William Tiffen b.1823 Norfolk Eng.
   Mary Ann Johnson b.abt 1832 Stowbridge Eng.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 07:54 BST (UK) »
Yes,  what I am suggesting is that it is  likely that James would go along to register his first born,  and be the one who answers the oral questions about himself ... including : where were you born and how old are you....
So where he is the informant, his info could be thought to be a tad more detailed about himself... when Lillian is i informant, her info about herself could be a tad more reliable....  :)

And remember, the recorder has the ledger register book facing themselves,  while the parents are on other side of counter, standing, and are not university qualified spellers or readers of bdm clerks  scribble  which is upside down to them.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 07:58 BST (UK) »
"...What details are recorded for Lillian.....her age?....her parents' names?.....her birthplace?"

My interest is specifically what is recorded on the marriage record, 1891.

What is recorded on the marriage certificate, 1891, by Lillian, about her origins?

James Ralph MATTHEWS, engine driver....is he a locomotive engine driver....or engine operator in industry?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 08:21 BST (UK) »
James Ralph MATTHEWS.....anything I see online.....BDM.....electoral rolls.....cemetery record......name R(alph) appears.  I am not seeing that name again in the next generation....sons / daughters of James MATTHEWS.

Do you see the name Ralph again in this family?

Probate file for James Ralph MATTHEWS, died 1922, Victoria, his estate includes a two storey, 8 room brick house, 203 St Leonards Rd Ascot Vale. There does not seem to be a mortgage on this property.

James Ralph MATTHEWS would seem to be a railway labourer, with a large family......and owns a rather substantial house?

When did the MATTHEWS family move to Melbourne from Tasmania? Do you know why they left Tasmania?

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
LIST Tas has historic deeds (13/9680 & 9681) that show a 1916 conveyance of 100 acres of land at Emu Bay from Letitia Dean to James Ralph Matthews, and then to Melmoth Robotham.
https://www.thelist.tas.gov.au/app/content/home

James Ralph Matthews is described as 'of Ridgley in Tasmania Station Master'

M

Offline Peggle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 10:37 BST (UK) »
James Ralph Matthews moved to Victoria possibly around 1920 for cancer treatment. The cause of death was Carcinoma of the stomach.

My Grandfather Walter Clem believed his Dad James Ralph had an Engine Drivers Licence but I can't find anything to support this claim, as in a formal certificate, only that he was Station Master (as listed on Tyrell Evelyns birth certificate) at Ridgley and Engine Driver was stated as occupation on his death certificate.

Is it ok to put a pic of the marriage certificate on here? James is listed as a Contractor and Lillian as a Dressmaker.

My cousin, (whom amazingly, I've only just recently found thru beginning this search and only since March when my father died and left 4 pages of notes given to him) began searching for James Ralph's parents about 30 years ago, hit the same brick wall with trying to find James' parents then.