Author Topic: Any Information on the family Jacob and Catherine Cohen, Wales, Swansea  (Read 9692 times)

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any Information on the family Jacob and Catherine Cohen, Wales, Swansea
« Reply #207 on: Friday 24 July 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Phillips, Claude, Sir

After initial education in Germany and France, Phillips graduated from London University with both a B. A. and a master's degree. He studied law, joined the Inner Temple (a professional society licensing barristers), and admitted to the bar in 1883.

Link here https://arthistorians.info/phillipsc

Offline leesofoxford

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for any information on Jacob and Catherine Cohen (née Philips) both born 1773 and migrated to Swansea: Catherine 1773 – 17 February 1865, Jacob Cohen 1773 – March 1819. Jacob and Catherine are my third great-grandparents their son Reuben Zaleg Felipe (Philip) Cohen is my twice great-grandfather.

Children of Jacob and Catherine Cohen
We have a clock made by Jacob Cohan (Cohen) of Swansea that is dated Feb 19th 1797. I will try to add some pictures for you.
Kind regards
James

Reuben Zaleg Felipe (Philip) Cohen (1810-1881), Dr Douglas Cohen (1806-1892) (unmarried), Esdaile Philip Cohen (1792-1856), Charlotte Cohen (1815-1885) (unnamed), Harriet Cohen (1801 - 1889), Rosetta Cohen (1800-1879) married name Marks, Samuel Philip Cohen (1797-1858), Matilda Cohen (circa born 1805).

Catherine Cohen had a sister Abigail Moseley or Mosely also of Swansea, Abigail married Jacob A. Moseley a watch and clockmaker. She also had a brother Mordecai Phillips. Catherine's father was Solomon Moses Selig Phillips AKA Salomon Phillips AKA Moses Selig. Her mother was Vogeltje Moses. Her paternal grandparents were Jacob Selig and Esther Jacobs.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Leonard

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee,

You need to click on the reply button instead of the quote button. ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Monday 26 June 23 14:42 BST (UK) »
I have an article on www.neathantiquariansociety.co.uk on the Jews of Neath.  If you look down the side panel you will see 'articles of members'.  Trawl through there and you will see the article in which there is reference to Jacob and his family.  If you can add anything to what I have written then of course I would be delighted to hear from you.
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).