Author Topic: Any Information on the family Jacob and Catherine Cohen, Wales, Swansea  (Read 9691 times)

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any Information on the family Jacob and Catherine Cohen, Wales, Swansea
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 June 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin,

A while ago I found some info on geni.com it says Solomon Philips father was Jacob Selig, either an error or Samuel HRR and Jacob Selig are the same person, and his mother was Esther Jacobs.

Thanks again

Leonard

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 June 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Leonard,

You're very welcome.

I can't find the record on geni that you're referring to. But bear in mind that Solomon Phillips is not a unique name. Moreover, you cannot rely on an online family tree that does not provide primary documentary evidence.

You have a primary record - the burial register - that shows that his father was called Shmuel (Samuel). You need to identify all the sons and daughters of Catherine's brothers and sister to find the common names.

My own Jewish ancestors came over from northern Germany in the 1870s, so I haven't had a need to extensively research British Jewry prior to that. From what little I have read, I understand many of the early Jewish settlers were from Germany and the Netherlands. Certainly the main Ashkenazi synagogues in London were founded by Jews from Germany. The Phillips family was most likely of German origin as indicated by Solomon's will in "German Jewish characters". I shall another careful look at the will for further clues. Have you read though it?

Your Reuben may not have been 21 when he left Bristol, but he certainly wasn't 5 years old. In which case, his Hebrew name must have been different from that of his grandfather.

I'd say there is a high likelihood of David Cohen being related to Jacob. Did you also know that Mordecai's daughter Henrietta married Moses (son of Abraham) Cohen in the Hambro synagogue in 1823?

Justin

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 June 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, I did have a look at Jacob Cohen's will but I struggled with the Spencerian script so I have no idea what it says. Yes, you're absolutely right I've found many errors on sites such as geni and familysearch. I'm working with my cousin and we look for legal documents to verify when available, we're building this picture overtime. We've located Reuben's will and a letter he wrote to the British government lobbying for assistance with a land claim in Cuba against the Spanish government. We haven't been able to get hold of these documents yet due to the pandemic.

Thanks, for the additional information. 

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 05 June 20 11:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry, you meant Solomon's will.

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 June 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
Did you also know that Mordecai's daughter Henrietta married Moses (son of Abraham) Cohen in the Hambro synagogue in 1823?

No, I didn't. I did read up on the Hambro synagogue and the schism that created it.

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 June 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
I haven't seen a will I've seen this The Hambro burial register records his burial on 15th April 1816 (https://synagoguescribes.com/blog/person-details/?value=31300)

Is there another link I haven't seen?

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 June 20 12:00 BST (UK) »
I've only come across info related to Jewish families in response to your post and recent information I saw last year about the need to archive information relating to Jewish communities in South Wales. I'm afraid I know nothing about Hebrew or Jewish customs, so please excuse my ignorance on these matters.

I've seen Jewish graves in a couple of local Jewish cemeteries, but not been able to read the hebrew inscriptions. I wondered what information might there be written on gravestones and if Jacob and Catherine's graves had readable headstones, would they give any clues as to their ancestrors or places of birth?

In terms of naming chidren, are there patterns and customs ? Would the first son be named after a particular grandparent for example (paternal  or maternal?) and would they repeat names in generations?.

I wondered about the name Douglas (doesn't sound it comes from Hebrew) and the name Vogeltje is Dutch ?

You probably already have this info, but I did come across a newspaper article (Philadelphia Jewish Exponent 04 July 1890, p.5). In it, it mentions Jacob I cohen who was one of teh early members of the Beth Shalom in Richmond, who came Rhenish Prussia in 1773. Settled first in Lancaster (well known Jewish Community) then removing to Charleston then settled in Richmond before the Surrender of Cornwallis. It says he was a volunteer in the defence of his new adopted land and honourably discharged. This was written in a hebrew diary owned by his decendents. After the war his brother Israel J Cohen joined him, returned to England later for a wife and in 1787, returned with her to Richmond. The article has lots of info on the wider family and their children and also the family of David I Cohen and his wife.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 05 June 20 12:07 BST (UK) »
You can get the will of Moses Selig / Solomon Phillips free by registering https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D568970

Offline LCohen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 June 20 13:04 BST (UK) »
Cool, thanks for the link. Do you have a link to newspaper article (Philadelphia Jewish Exponent 04 July 1890, p.5) I've never seen it, they're the Baltimore Cohens, my great-great grandaunt Harriet Cohen married into the family marrying David I Cohen.

Harriet Cohen (1801 - 1889) married David I Cohen of the Maryland, Baltimore Cohens (about David's brother Jacob and Baltimore Cohens ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_I._Cohen_Jr.) on the 7th of July 1830 in Swansea, Wales.

Sorry, I know nothing about Jewish naming conventions I do know that the "I" in all the male Baltimore men means nothing at all. Jacob I Cohen wanted a way to differentiate himself from all the other Jacob Cohens and so he added an "I" which I suppose is quite a statement, "I". And so it became a family thing.

My thoughts on what I want to do with this information has evolved overtime. I'm going to collate all this information into an interactive media rich online family pedigree called "1773" both Jacob and Catherine Cohen were born in 1773 and the project will trace their lineal and collateral descent. It'll have bios, videos, photos. This project will tell the story of the Swansea, Wales Cohens from 1773 to now. It'll take in Wales, England, USA, Panama, Jamaica, Cuba, India, Australia, that's what I've found so far, and Cohens of all racial and ethnic groups. It's a documentary art project, I'm an artist: https://leonardrcohen.myportfolio.com I work with 3D and photography.

"I've only come across info related to Jewish families in response to your post and recent information I saw last year about the need to archive information relating to Jewish communities in South Wales."

I'd like to hear more about this, are your family from Swansea?

This is one of the family's Jamaican estates (see link) my great-great grandfather Reuben Zaleg Felipe (Philip) Cohen (1810-1881) owned his son Fernando Cohen put it up for sale in 1901 it's called Cambria sometimes known as Cambrian (which we all know is latin for Wales/Welshman). It's 415 arches about half the size of Central Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrnj6sGJsZE&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Leonard