Author Topic: Baptism & burial sought - Sarah Fitzpatrick Conroy 1866-1868  (Read 292 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism & burial sought - Sarah Fitzpatrick Conroy 1866-1868
« on: Tuesday 02 June 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if there might be some information out there, perhaps on-line somewhere, on a baby called Sarah Fitzpatrick Conroy.  She was born in 1866 and died 1868 age 1 in the Bradford area.  It seems that there was no Mother's maiden name suggesting she may have been illegitimate.  However, perhaps this might be an error.

It is not totally urgent but I am a bit curious to know if she might have been a daughter of my two x Great Grandparents James and Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick.  The birth and death of Sarah was registered in Bradford.  James and Elizabeth were travellers so I don't rule out that they may have left Northumberland and Durham where they mostly seem to have lived.   They were Catholics so if Sarah was their daughter she would have been likely to have had a Catholic  baptism and burial. 

I don't really want to buy a cert as I am not 100% that Sarah is an ancestor.  I am hoping that someone might have access to a baptism or burial record for her which may give some indication.

Elizabeth remains my brick wall.   I last see her in 1881 widowed and living with her eldest child Mary Watson, her husband William Watson and their children.  I do not know what became of her after that and where she may have died.  So any links to other places or people might hopefully lead to this mystery being solved one day.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism & burial sought - Sarah Fitzpatrick Conroy 1866-1868
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 23:01 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry showing her parents as James Conroy & Elizabeth Fitzpatrick but I can't see any documentary confirmation.  It says she had 7 brothers & 3 sisters.  If so - why was mmn blank on birth reg??  Suspect some assumptions may have been made

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
Same tree says James & Elizabeth married in Thomas - Kentucky on 30.5.1859 & James died 24.8.1876 Lanchester Durham

Marriage was in Gateshead ::)

No baptism or burial online for Sarah
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Thanks for trying to find something out for me.  I put Sarah on my tree as a hypothesis to see if this might generate any further info/hints but there is nothing so far.  I thought I would try asking RootsChatters just on the off chance someone might be able to help.

The dates of birth of siblings I got from their baptism records at the archives but I also have the birth cert for my Great Grandfather Simon Peter.

Also, yes Elizabeth married James (not John) at Stella, Gateshead at the RC Church.  This is the info I have from the marriage cert if this might be helpful for anyone else researching the same line.  Their son Michael was also baptised at this Church.

'Entry No 23
Thirtieth May 1859
James Conroy & Elizabeth Fitzpatrick
His age 30
Her age 31
Bachelor & Spinster
Jobbing Labourer
Abode for both: Winlaton
Fathers:
James Conroy deceased - a Jobbing Labourer
James Fitzpatrick deceased - a Jobbing Labourer
James and Elizabeth signed with their marks - X
Witness William Potts signed.  Witness Mary Conroy signed with her mark X. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner