Author Topic: Merchant Seaman’s record  (Read 1759 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Seaman’s record
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 June 20 16:24 BST (UK) »
VB,
I take it that you have searched "British Oversea's Deaths" I searched the British Newspaper Archive . Again nothing. Could he have moved from Belfast? Have you looked at passengers or ships crew entering the United States in 1918?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 June 20 19:57 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the Overseas Deaths as well as US passenger manifests and other Merchant and Royal Navy records without success.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 June 20 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hugh.
 I cannot think where else to look. Any thought's?
regards
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 June 20 20:49 BST (UK) »
VB,
I take it that you have searched "British Oversea's Deaths" I searched the British Newspaper Archive . Again nothing. Could he have moved from Belfast? Have you looked at passengers or ships crew entering the United States in 1918?

I'm nearly certain that I've checked the overseas deaths, I hadn't checked the newspaper archives, so thank you, I have also searched passengers arriving in USA in 1918, nothing, any double checking is appreciated, I may have missed something.  I don't believe he left Belfast as the story is that he left home "that" morning and didn't return ... whenever that was supposed to be??  It's very odd that there is no mention of him anywhere and particularly no death registration that I have found.

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 June 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the Overseas Deaths as well as US passenger manifests and other Merchant and Royal Navy records without success.

Regards
Hugh

Hugh, were you referring to my Peter Burns?  If so, thank you for your interest.  I find it very odd that the family were aware that he was "torpedoed" yet there is nothing to verify his disappearance, even if he were a passenger on a ship that was sank.

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 June 20 21:12 BST (UK) »
Searched the online 1915 crew agreements. 11 hits for Peter Burns. None comes up with the correct  date and place of birth.

https://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/crew-member?crew_member_search%5BlastName%5D=burns&crew_member_search%5BfirstName%5D=peter&page=1

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 June 20 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that search.  Now I feel really stupid as I should have said there's Burns, Burn, Byrnes, Byrne, Byrn  and any other variations to think of,!!

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 June 20 21:38 BST (UK) »
I have only checked the name you posted but will check the other variations.
SW - I think we are searching in the right places. I had already checked the 1915 crew listings too and drew a blank. We will see where the other variations get us. Could I ask though is Peter Burns the correct full family name?
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 June 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
You guys are awesome, thank you.  I have just double checked the Ireland BMD's as things do get updated from time to time and still can't find anything.  He doesn't stand out anywhere on the 1901 or 1911 census either but I'm now just thinking about your previous question.  He could possibly have been working the boats between Belfast, Dublin & Scotland, many did for the work.  It may also be relevant to say that his father also Peter or Patrick Burns/Byrnes, was a soldier born about 1839, so he could have followed in his footsteps.... I know, not your field, but it may add to the theory that he did do something for the war effort