Author Topic: Wedding witness  (Read 450 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wedding witness
« on: Friday 05 June 20 07:54 BST (UK) »
I have the following marriage:
London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932
Samuel DYER/ Maria TARN
6 Mar 1827, at  St Mary, Islington

Two of the witnesses (not shown) are TARN family members, one of the witnesses, which I can read is Mary Evans DYER, half sister of the groom but I cannot read the surname of the fourth witness, which is Joseph Kitley/Ketly J........

Any thoughts?  (I don't need any other information about the couple, but I would be interested to know the name and any details of this witness.)

Thanks,  Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding witness
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 June 20 07:56 BST (UK) »
Joseph Kitley/Ketly J........

Junr  (Junior)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 June 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
It looks like joseph ketley junior.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 20 10:32 BST (UK) »
Some similarities with this one, married in Shoreditch in 1828: 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 20 13:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the suggestions - I had thought it might be 'junior' also but wonder if that description was in common use in England. ShaunJ that's a really similar signature you've found. I'll have a look at your Joseph Ketley tomorrow and see if I can see any clues to a connection.  This bride and groom and their families were were connected to non-conformist churches. They went as missionaries to China, Hong Kong and Singapore, with Samuel sadly dying in Macao in his forties.

Thanks again.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 June 20 05:11 BST (UK) »
Just a follow-up if anyone is interested.

I have found at least 2 men with the same name - Joseph Ketley - , in London at the same time - the chap who was married in Shoreditch, who may be the man who became a Congregationalist missionary and slave trade abolitionist, and another Anglican minister.

I think the witness may be the Congregationalist missionary as was the bridegroom. I can't see whether this missionary is the man married in Shoreditch.

However it's very peripheral to my searches as the groom was a sibling of my direct ancestor.

Once again - thank you for your help.

Judith