Author Topic: MOT tests for cars.  (Read 569 times)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MOT tests for cars.
« on: Friday 05 June 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
This may be helpful to some. My MOT expires later this month. From media reports I learned that an MOT could be extended by 6 months (without re-test) due to the current situation. Searching online at the Govt. site with my reg.no. I could not find any useful information re my vehicle.
I phoned my garage re the matter, and was told, " Yes, you can defer the test by 6 months, but when you have your vehicle re-tested, then that re-test certificate WILL ONLY LAST 6 MONTHS. The government has not disclosed that fact."
I asked the garage for the solution to this problem - result - they can book me in for an MOT, as normal, before the end of June.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MOT tests for cars.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 June 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
Yes in most places there is no excuse for not getting an M.O.T. on your vehicle as many garages are now operational. You have to be aware that if you use your car and then breakdown if your car is not road compliant you may be refused a recovery or tow by the garage or breakdown company.
 It's worth checking out in you local area.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 June 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
The situation in Northern Ireland is different and became more complicated even before coronavirus and lockdown. MOT are only done at Test Centres (there are 15 here). The end of January MOT inspections for cars & vans were suspended when cracks were discovered in 48 of the 55 lifts. Temporary certificates were to be issued (except for 4 year old vehicles ready to undergo their first MOT).
Then at the start of April it was announced that MOT centres were going to be used as coronavirus testing (starting with one in Belfast several thers were converted but not sure what the situation is at present).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 20 21:17 BST (UK) »
I phoned my garage re the matter, and was told, " Yes, you can defer the test by 6 months, but when you have your vehicle re-tested, then that re-test certificate WILL ONLY LAST 6 MONTHS. The government has not disclosed that fact."

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware they had pulled a fast one like that.

(I will get my car MOT'd in October as usual, that is if we are not in another lockdown by then).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 20 21:19 BST (UK) »
My mot expired 2nd May.
I had it tested 28th May, and its valid to 27th May 2021...

Sounds like someones scaremongering.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 June 20 21:40 BST (UK) »
My mot expired 2nd May.
I had it tested 28th May, and its valid to 27th May 2021...

Sounds like someones scaremongering.

BIB - I don't think so. I knew that MOT's could be put off for six months but then thought they ran for a year from whenever you got it done so I at least have learnt something today.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 June 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
You need to check online to ensure that your vehicle is included in the six month MOT extension.  Here is the site:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

My MOT was due at the end of May, but I couldn't travel from where I live in Wales to Hereford for the MOT and service as I am isolating.  I had assumed that the MOT extension was automatic, so I was a bit taken aback when I realised you need to check your reg number.  Anyway, I checked on there and mine has been extended.  But yes, it is on the basis that the car has to be roadworthy, so if you have a relatively new vehicle,this shouldn't be an issue.

However, I posted the above link to a local FB group, and some people  replied that their insurance companies had refused to accept the extension, and therefore they were forced to make hasty arrangements for MOTs.  Checking this out, it seems that the vehicles they were talking about were quite old, so that might be a factor.  Nevertheless, I decided to check with my insurance company, and on their website amongst the 'frequently asked questions' relating to covid-19 was the MOT one.  And the reply was that they recognise the MOT extension,  provided the vehicle is roadworthy.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 June 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
Utah got rid of their equivalent to the MOT some years ago. I have not noticed any difference.

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah House and the Senate passed a bill that gets rid of mandatory vehicle safety inspections for drivers in the Beehive State.

The bill now heads to the governor’s office for him to sign or veto.

Included in the measure is a change that increases the vehicle registration fee by $1.00, with that increase allocated to the Utah Highway Patrol.

The bill’s sponsors are Rep. Dan McCay, R-Riverton, and Senator Deidre Henderson, R-Spanish Fork. They cited data that showed other states that used to have safety inspections but then got rid of them did not show an increase in accidents due to unsafe vehicles.

They also said it would save taxpayers $25 million a year.

“The statistics from all of the states that have revoked and done away with these mandatory inspection systems; the statistics are out, there is no safety increase for the states that have this,” said Senator Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City, on Wednesday.

Back Shop is a local auto repair shop in West Valley City that was established in 2007. The owner, Alex Caro, said they do about 10 to 15 vehicle safety inspections each day on average.

“I didn't believe it,” said Caro in response to the bill passing. “Why would they do away with safety inspections? Especially when some people don't check their vehicles, and the only time they do get them checked out is when they're in here for a safety inspection.”

If the governor signs the bill, it would go into effect in January 2018.