Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 6th June  (Read 770 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 6th June
« on: Saturday 06 June 20 22:27 BST (UK) »
What a day, it's been pouring down with rain almost all day, no hailstones today thankfully. Couldn't go out for a walk, I would have been soaked to the skin in minutes.

Did some admin this morning, bits of housework throughout the day. Decided to do some painting but I didn't have the right colours in the medium I was using so gave up on it. The rain stopped at one point so I thought I might be able to get some plants in, I was outside for five minutes and it started again. Some time after 3pm it stopped raining for a while so I managed to get a few things done before it started again, much lighter rain then eventually stopped.

Came indoors for my supermarket order, due between 5 and 5.30. Then all the wiping down wrappers etc. All this stuff stresses me out but my cupboards and fridge are full.

That's it for my day really, didn't get out for my walk at all, was getting cabin fever! Hope everyone has had a more interesting day.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 6th June
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 June 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
Well my day was about the same as yours!...

Dull and dreary when I got up...
 Internet playing up on then off nearly drove me mad... it was very windy and the pole with all the lines on is between our house and next doors. We have a big sycamore and they have a walnut tree and the cables go inbetween and when it's windy I think they get caught up in the branches....
plus we've got a BT junction underground and the rain gets in and I'm sure it affects the reception...
Anyway I'm up and down like a yoyo trying all sorts... OH gone off to golf in the rain... could be back within the hour or not...
Now telephones not working... getting really frustrated with this... phoned Sky up of course you have to fulfill their criteria to get put through... finally did by which time internets working.. phone isn't .. he's sending someone out but not until Wednesday...
By now it's lunch time and I've done nothing else and have now almost lost the will to do anything.... so I don't!
Had some lunch and sat down and did something I never do picked up my knitting and watched a programme all about Lego and how they run their business... it was very interesting...
Just made a cuppa and daughter FaceTime  as eldest grandson wanted to show us how far he's got with the millennium jigsaw... he's doing really well ..other one showed me big lego police truck he'd got including the prison cell and the burglar! Bought with birthday voucher daughter had forgotten about...it's ok his birthday was only in February!
Said we'd call back when OH got back from golf...
We got cut off anyway as Internet dropped....😤😤
Sat in the conservatory and read...
OH home spoke to grandsons  all good...
Phone and Internet now working... wind had dropped but poured with rain
OH cooked dinner..
Fabric and patterns delivered for scrubs so will get going on those on Monday ..
Watched some tv... film we've seen before..

What a waste of a day... did nothing at all worth while .... weather never  helps, so hope tomorrow is better!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 June 20 09:36 BST (UK) »
Well I had a work day. Started off with daughter telling me she hated me, hated the CM and hated my boss because it's his fault I had to go to work.

Was  really chilly when I left for work so had my jacket on.  Wasn't any cooler inside work though.  It got a lot brighter throughout the day and was pretty bright by the time I left.  A local sports club delivered cake for every ward but I was good and resisted temptation.  Although spoilt that by having some trifle when I got home.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 June 20 10:29 BST (UK) »
Ah BUT Pharma if you had cake as well that would have been a double whammy, so much less disastrous.  ;)

We got off lightly here in Torbay where it was winter coat and scarf weather, but not raining all day.

After lunch had a drive out towards Teignmouth, but it started raining and was so windy we headed over to Babbacombe instead, where there is a small private park which has covenants precluding children and dogs.  :P  I know that is crazy and if I lived nearby with children it would drive me insane, but as I am a pensioner I find it very reasonable and relaxing!! Despite I have seen a lady on an electric scooter tearing round the paths yelling "Wheeee" as she took the corners too fast! :D

The park has become a nature haven as it is so peaceful, and I was thrilled to catch a good photo of a jay, while H hand fed a squirrel with brazil nuts.  Lucky squirrel, but we think she must have young so perhaps she deserved such fine fare.

The volunteer gardening team do a good job and there are beautiful purple and lilac clematis and roses in full bloom.

From there we strolled to the Downs where we noted one of the hotels was open for food and had an entertainer singing.

Back through the park to the car, and arriving home I spotted a friend out with her dog, so I leapt out to walk and chat with her.  I hope it cheered her as much as it did me.

Evening walk along the prom, tide fully in, so apart from about 8 fishers there was no one else on the prom or in the park.  (Earlier there had been someone making noise and smoke trying to wreck their tyres in the deserted car park.)

Watched some of the first few Springwatch, and half a Montalbano on TV.

A helicopter was up and circling around 23:30, no news yet on that.

Have a good day all.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 June 20 11:21 BST (UK) »
Well had Sunday dinner yesterday,
as the chicken crown son got  for me on Thursday needed to be cooked .

I play tapes,CDs etc if nothing on the radio I want to hear but I have heard them so many times, a few I never tire of but felt like a change ,so had Classic FM on all day.
Checked on neighbour and had a laugh via phone with her, phoned the one who sent the Afternoon tea for one treat,to see could I add to my Tesco delivery- this morning- for her, didn’t need anything.
Did some hand sewing, I have choked up the machine by using the wrong spool, the underneath one,some substitutes for the Brother ones were delivered —-!
I keep getting clumps out little by little ,but boy was it choked up.!
I have an old Singer which started out life as a portable hand machine but a little motor was added and it is good for heavy material as the foot goes down hard with a hefty CLUNK , but it weighs a ton ,so tend not to use it.

Made some drop scones on a big iron bigoudin, the round baking sheet used in Brittany for the famous  Crepes Dentelles.
We bought one and a rosser, the wooden spreader used to make the batter very thinly spread, on a holiday in Brittany.
 That holiday we were near the sea and on a big jetty ,in the water at high tide but in shallow at low tide was a good place for the children to fish for crabs.
A  bit of meat on a string, dangled in the water and they clung to it and you could pull them out.
All three had their buckets with quite a few in, it was getting time for lunch so I said throw the crabs back now ( most were not above an inch across )
A Frenchman heard me and said, no no I will have them to flavour a fish soup,well my children were horrified, little baby crabs thrown into boiling water! My second son threw his back straight away ,and my little daughter poured her bucket out on the jetty as she had to stay well away from the edge.
She expected the crabs to walk forward and dive off the edge but of course they moved sideways , pretty much in her direction , she stepped away and was not as far from the edge as we felt was safe, eldest son grabbed her as there was quite a drop at low tide into quite shallow water with rocks.
Second son , got the  Frenchman’s bucket   and emptied that too ,and said - at that time they spoke English at home, had just changed to a Flemish speaking  school but had enough French to say - the crabs were too small and anyway he was very cruel!
Well talk about a tantrum, we were told we had badly behaved children etc etc, but of course we too said the children had fished for fun in a way that did not hurt the crabs ,and they were set free after a short time , the crabs were always going to be set free,.
He might consider what he was doing as regards fish stocks etc.
Well that is what I intended to say but a few errors might,probably, well definitely slipped in .
I may very well have told him he was an ecological Philistine ,or words to that effect  ::)Then again I might have said he was a garlic smelling frog !
Actually my French was not that good ,or bad whichever way you look at it.
Anyway the little crabs lived to be caught another day.
But to see my daughter’s face when the crabs walked sideways !

Sunny today ,not been to feed the fish yet so no idea if cool or warm as yet.
Not hungry , so just a nice cuppa.
Wish I could get some plants to fill  gaps where tulips have been removed and are drying  out .
Aquilegia think they own the place , coming up everywhere.
Self seeded and they are always the wild purple colour .
Two fuchsias have no flowers this year, pity, one a purple inner cup and pink outer petals ,other a cerise cup and white petals .
Allium out now but not as tall as I expected.
Next door’s roses out in gay profusion( I pinched that from some poet or other) bright pink ,they lean over the fence , I cut one or two now and then ,well the petals stain my new flagstones when they fall and go brown so I treat  myself now and again to those I would be sweeping up sooner or later.
My neighbour knows as I dead head for her on my side ,and hers often but not this year of course.
What a strange world ,I have not actually physically touched or been touched by anyone since lockdown.
I think for those of us living alone that is the worst aspect , my O.H and I
fooled about quite a bit , held hands whilst watching TV , out walking and just held each other for no good reason at all .
Squeezes that stopped you breathing etc. We joked and played tricks ,like daft teenagers .
I miss little  great grandsons’s tight embrace of my knees, stranglehold kisses.
His little hand in mine ,so trusting.
His Daddy was working in Suffolk and the permanent move down South was in hand. Then lockdown was announced so hisMummy just threw everything she could get into her car and drove down before it would be impossible to do that.
What a good job she did.
All settled into the new house , and whether he will start school in September we will see ,but he has been here before I swear.
Well folks a Tesco Van has just gone down the road where it will turn and no doubt it is my delivery.
Cheerio, look after yourselves
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 June 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
I can imagine it must be terribly hard to be without physical contact for so long Viktoria, and I do feel for you, especially after being so tactile with your OH.

You are doing a marvellous job, keeping cheerful and cheering others (especially with your graphic stories).  I do hope you can get together with loved ones soon.

In the meantime, enjoy the roses and hang in there.  :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 June 20 13:18 BST (UK) »
Well  Thankyou, I have always  warned relatives and
 my friends to bring refreshments for during my funeral,as I can’t get fewer than 16 hymns and songs ,anecdotes and silly stories.
I mean I can’t go to my grave(urn) without the story of me waiting   outside
a club in Manchester to hear a Jazz band I liked,The Saints.
My friend and I had arranged to meet outside ,we were in the sixth form at school.
I waited but she did not turn up ,it was getting difficult waiting ,I was offered sums of money for I knew not what. ::)By several men!
Then a woman waiting on the other side of the door said to me “ get off my pitch!”
Then the penny dropped .
I went into the club to see had my friend gone inside ,but no. So I decided I
had better go home.
When I told my  boyfriend ( he was doing the last two weeks of the Z training ex National Servicemen had to do.Didn’t like trad jazz so I thought I
would go whilst he he was away.)
He exploded ,I though it rather funny , but he didn’t.
 So I hope I last beyond lockdown ,want a big funeral, lots of laughs etc.
I will end on that cheerful note!
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

P.S. 1966 World Cup final, Nobby Stiles sans teeth ,dancing round the pitch.We were living abroad , so it was very special to us .
Channel 4 , 1-30, today, but lots going on before the actual match replay.
Viktoria.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 June 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I hope today has turned out better for you, it's still been chucking it down here! Forecast to dry up about now (3pm) but the field will be sopping, I might just write it off for today. Not sure exactly whereabouts you are but I think you're probably towards the east, further south and west don't seem to have had the downpours.

PharmaT - a little of what you fancy does you good!

Mowsehowse, your trip out sounds lovely and nice for you to be able to walk along the prom later. And having a chat in person to your friend must have made it a good day all round despite the weather.

Viktoria - lovely to read about your past exploits in France. I agree that the lack of human contact during these weeks has been one of the hardest things to deal with. You're always so positive about other things, I admire that.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 June 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
Viktoria- I love to hear your tales they do make me smile and give a little lift to the day... so miss when you've not written.. I'm sure it must be hard on your own (you too Roobarb) especially when you're used to being tactile.... I know how I felt not being able to hug my daughter when I saw her for the first time since Feb and the boys...

Wandering along beaches is such a wonderful thing to be able to do... without the crowds of course! This weather over the last few days has certainly made a difference to ones temperament as well as feeling b..... cold. I can't believe I've a polo neck and a cardigan, socks and warm trousers on INDIDE the house and still I'm cold... ' we can't put the heating on in June' im reliably told... oh well I'll just freeze...

Pharma I'm sure one small piece of cake wouldn't have hurt.... a little bit of something does you good sometimes...

FYI Roobarb I live on the borders of Cambridgeshire/ Bedfordshire/ Northamptonshire so as far away from the sea as is possible... 😢😢. It's usuallybthe diest part of the country but we have needed the rain we've had over the last few days...

Caroline 
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK