Author Topic: Gilling, North Yorkshire  (Read 3731 times)

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gilling, North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 June 20 05:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree with the likely relationship of these families. I was also thinking that there must have have been a strong link to North Yorkshire for John HALL to return his child for burial there after the death in Chew Magna. The burial was in Gilling, not Richmond where the mother was from.
Pembrokeshire - Brown, Rees, Thomas, James, Nedahl, Noot
Somerset - Brown, Parfitt, Daniell, Wheeler, Clissold, Indoe
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 June 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
I wondered if they were staying up at Gilling when Jane died - still suggests, as you say, that they had strong links there. however, I can't find any obvious family there  except perhaps the rector himself, Robert Lascelles. When Lascelles was made chaplain to  the Duke of Newcastle (also the Earl of Lincoln) Lascelles was referred to as Robert Lascelles of Skelton, Yorks, though he was actually born in Durham. Skelton was where the Hall-Stevensons (the later Whartons) hung out. I haven't had much success at finding many records for Skelton. What is needed here is a nice census record saying who was living with whom and where they all came from originally!
My initial interest in your request came from the reference to Brignall. One branch of my family came from there and was recorded there during the 18th and early 19th century. However, I must say i have found the doings of the Hall/Lascelles/ Wharton family fascinating and a big contrast to the Aldersons of Brignall, farm labourers!
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 June 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
The memoirs of Theophilus LINDSEY have this: during his residence at the Duchess of Somerset's, Mr LINDSEY so recommended himself by his discreet and exemplary behaviour, that a worthy and pious lady, Mrs PEARCE ... bequeathed to him without his knowledge the next presentation to the rectory of Chew Magna, near Bristol. The living became vacant after Mr LINDSEY had left the church ... And honourably resisting all the proposals which were made to him to dispose of it to great advantage, he presented it to a worthy clergyman, Mr HALL, the brother-in-law of Mrs LINDSEY, who married Archdeacon BLACKBURNE's youngest daughter, and who is now the respectable incumbent.

The recommendation probably came in about 1750, before LINDSEY married. Interesting how things worked back then. I have not traced Mrs PEARCE.
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 June 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
He seems to be one for charming the ladies, doesn't he. There's the one who insisted on being buried with him. Really creepy. He wasn't a believer in false modesty either - "discreet and exemplary behaviour." He sounds as if he's escaped from a Jane Austen novel.
No, I can't work out who Mrs Pearce might be. Looking back through the patrons of Chew Magna, I can't work out who the patron might be. There seems to be a different person nominating the new vicar each time., whereas at Gilling it was always the Whartons.

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 June 20 06:21 BST (UK) »
In Essays and Addresses by Rev H McLachlan it says "Mrs PEARCE was nee LOWTHER, a near relative of the then Lord Lonsdale". I have not found any other records. Have been looking at trees etc for the Duchess of Somerset (who was born in Wiltshire) but these names are not coming up.
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 June 20 07:08 BST (UK) »
The 1st Viscount Lonsdale was John LOWTHER, he married Katherine THYNNE, part of the THYNNE family connected to Longleat, Wilts., where the Duchess of Somerset mentioned above was born. If Mrs PEARCE was linked to this family she would perhaps have some power over appointments in the church, but I cannot find any more about her yet.
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 03:12 BST (UK) »
Various connections, the families discussed have many inter-relationships:
Edward TROTTER of Skelton Castle married Mary, d of Sir John LOWTHER in 1600's.
John HALL(-STEVENSON) of Skelton Castle, sons John HALL-STEVENSON (who took the name WHARTON) and William HALL (became Vicar of Gilling some time after our John HALL). The JH-S's were patrons of Gilling St Agatha in the time I'm looking at.
In abt 1751 Mrs PEARCE (nee LOWTHER) bequeathed Chew Magna to Theophilus LINDSEY, unbeknown to him.
In abt 1756 LINDSEY wrote to the Earl of Huntingdon about the accession of James LOWTHER.
If my John HALL is related to these people it would have to be through Joseph HALL of Skelton Castle, father of John HALL-STEVENSON, perhaps Joseph had a brother who had a son.
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 July 20 16:26 BST (UK) »
I have worked out most of the family tree of the Halls/Lascelles/ Whartons and typed it all out nicely, then caught my hand on the keyboard and deleted the lot! Will try again later. The key things are the marriages of the 2 Gibson sisters of Stockton on Tees to 2 of the Durham gentry - Joseph Hall and William Lascelles.
However, there is a possibility that  your John Hall is the nephew of the first John Hall-Stevenson through his brother Thomas. According to a family tree in an elderly history of Cleveland I found on Google Books Thomas, born 1725 (who is listed as a Colonel) married someone Carter from Cambridgeshire and they had a son John. i can't find their wedding or that of Joseph Hall and Catherine Trotter, Thomas's parents.

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 July 20 05:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I've been looking at those trees. I can see a fair bit of information for George HALL who married Corbetta SMYTH, but cannot find Thomas' marriage (or anything else) other than the tree notes you've seen. With George, the tree shows him as a Colonel but I found a reference to him being a captain, so am being cautious about Thomas being a General. There seems to be a lot of BMD information missing for the Skelton/Guisborough area. The tree shows a sister Elizabeth but I'm not able to find both John and Elizabeth baptism at the same place.
Wiltshire - Collins