Author Topic: Gilling, North Yorkshire  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gilling, North Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 July 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
Another, belated, attempt at the family tree.
Gibson sister 1, Dorothy, married Thomas Lascelles in 1691. They had a son William, who married Alice and their son was Robert who became vicar of Gilling and had John Hall as his curate. Dorothy and William's wills can be found on Durham Uni's N E Inheritance database, now on Familysearch.
Gibson sister 2, Frances, married Joseph Hall in Durham Cathedral in 1687. The sons I have found are John 1689, Stephen 1691 and Joseph, September 1693.
Joseph at some point married Katherine Trotter and children i have found or know of are John 1718, Thomas 1725, Frances 1727 and George 1724. The last 3 were all baptized in Durham. I have not found Joseph and Katherine's marriage or John's baptism.
John married Ann Stevenson, granddaughter of one of the Whartons of Gillingwood Hall and added her name to his.They had a son John, who died unmarried (I think) and Joseph, who died the year after his father. So the estate was inherited by his son, John Hall-Stevevenson, grandson of the first John Hall Stevenson and he was the one who changed his name to Wharton for the inheritance. His great uncle Thomas seems to have had a son John, as per previous posts, but can't find records for Thomas, his marriage or his children. Mag
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 July 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/178382182/joseph-hall
We may not have their marriage, but we do have their grave! Joseph Hall and Katherine Trotter may have inherited Skelton, but they seem to have stuck with Durham, at least for their burial. What is interesting is that John Hall-Stevenson is buried with them and that he has gone back to being plain John Hall, and no mention of his wife.
The Lascelles family got an outing in The Northern Echo yesterday.  The branch in Northallerton did very well for themselves and became MPs for the town and eventually, somehow or other, (I'm not well up on the aristocracy or royal family) became Earls of Harewood and related to the royal family. They are some sort of cousins of the Durham branch, because William Lascelles in his will says that if his cousin Joseph Hall should die without issue, the property William is leaving to him should go instead to Daniel Lascelles of Durham. Daniel is one of the people named in the article. However, the headline of the article reveals its current interest "Slave owning MPs of Northallerton " , or something like that. They owned several slave estates. Mag

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 July 20 12:14 BST (UK) »
I'm still processing your information but can quickly provide some dates that came from royaldescentblogspot.
Katherine TROTTER b 17 Sep 1693 Skelton Castle, bap 12 Oct 1693 Old Saints Church, Skelton-in-Cleveland d. 29 Sep 1740 Durham, bur 4 Oct 1740 St Margaret Ch. Crossgate, Durham. m 14 Dec 1716 Old Saints Church, Skelton-in-Cleveland to Joseph HALL of Durham.
Joseph HALL bap 19 Sep 1693 St Margaret Ch. Crossgate, Durham bur there 27 Aug 1731 son of Joseph HALL of Market Place Durham (d.1701) and Frances GIBSON. The only child mentioned is Frances Elizabeth HALL bap 16 Apr 1727, Durham.
It was William HALL who changed his name to WHARTON and was vicar of Gilling I believe. John also changed his name to WHARTON and became a member of parliament and demolished the castle.
I've been working on the Chew Magna end of the story and the Clergy Database (CDB) information. The CDB says John HALL came from Oxford and his father was Thoams HALL of Ross Herefordshire. I was wondering about the father since we're looking at Colonel or General Thomas HALL of Skelton. Could the CDB have the right name but wrong everything else? Army people move around. I cannot find any marriage for Thomas HALL and a CARTER of Cambridge, nor can I find him in Herefordshire with any wife. I cannot find the daughter Elizabeth either, I hoped to find an Eliz. and John baptised in the same place with father Thomas.
Pembrokeshire - Brown, Rees, Thomas, James, Nedahl, Noot
Somerset - Brown, Parfitt, Daniell, Wheeler, Clissold, Indoe
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 06:13 BST (UK) »
Just found a book on Google, Evangelicalism in the Church of England C.1790-c.1890, that talks of Chew Magna. In an 1801 letter between MORE and WILBERFORCE: The people of whom we have to propitiate are ... and a Socinian Clergyman. He is nearly connected with LINDSEY and DISNEY, his wife a daughter of Archdeacon BLACKBURN of your County. But they seem tolerating and are less prejudiced than some more orthodox folks ... Sad to say, this Rector not only was never at any University but was bred in a Military Academy and was going in the Army when this great living ... was obtained for him. He seems rather unacquainted with religion than hostile to it. He is from Richmond, Yorkshire, his name HALL, his connections the MIDDLEMAYS.
The article has an incorrect reference to Sarah BLACKBURN being Francis' step-daughter.

A quick search for the MILDMAY link has shown no HALL relatives, but the mention of the Army background points towards Thomas HALL.
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 16:02 BST (UK) »
That book is quite a find, though I think it is a bit unfair on John Hall. He didn't walk straight from the army into the Chew Magna job, but did a stint as a curate first, which generally involved taking lots of funerals and baptisms. But, as you say, it does suggest Thomas Hall might be a likely father. A pity records for him seem lacking. Having his precise birthdate, I tried "Find a Grave", but that didn't work.
 https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/GillingWest.. I got the feeling from this that John rather than William was the squire and took the name to inherit the estate. We walked past Gillingwood Hall, rebuilt by John, I think, and certainly where he lived in Gilling. the other day. It is very much a working farm now, though it has a grand front door taken from the original hall which burnt down before John's arrival. There are also various bits of the old hall scattered round the hillside as follies.
I think I got the births of Joseph and Frances's children from FreeReg, but I'll have to check.

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
Actually, I realise you didnt ask about about the baptisms of the various Hall children, but anyway I went back and looked at my notes. I got the wedding of Joseph and Frances from FreeReg becausee they married at the cathedral, but early records for St Margaret's aren't on there so i got the baptisms of John, Stephen, Joseph 1693 and and earlier Thomas 1698, from familysearch. The family possibly lived  in the Crossgate area, like the Lascelles family, at that time as that is where St Margaret's is, whereas Joseph and Katherine had their children baptized in St Mary-le Bow, by the cathedral.

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 July 20 04:06 BST (UK) »
Robert LASCELLES bap 29 Apr 1719 at St Margarets, Crossgate, son of William L and Alice (WOODMASS) - from Google book History of Mount Grace. There's a family tree there. It also shows Thomas L (1670-1701) who married Dorothy GIBSON, he was the grandfather of Robert. There's another GIBSON mentioned and a HAWKESWORTH (Frances, sister of Thomas also married a HAWKSWORTH, no E).

George Lawson HALL, brother of Thomas has a distinguished military career, ending as Lieut-General. Cannot find any army records for Thomas though.
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 09 July 20 06:37 BST (UK) »
If Thomas HALL was an army man and son John was born in an army camp as Hannah More states, then that could explain an absence of records. I wonder also about brother George being in the Dragoons, who were recruited and based in the Welsh border counties, including Herefordshire. Could the Clergy Database be right about John HALL being the son of Thomas from Ross, Herefs? I cannot tell where Joseph Foster got the information for the Alumni Oxonienses, it certainly was not in the published Brasenose Alumni records.
Although LINDSEY, DISNEY, and even Rev Francis BLACKBURNE to an extent, had Unitarian leanings, I do not know how Hannah More came to say John HALL was a Socinian. She'd only known him briefly at that time. Given the anger about people who differed from the CofE doctrine at that time I'd expect to find the odd angry letter being published complaining about HALL's preaching. The Bath Chronicle and Bristol Times that are online have very little about HALL throughout his time at Chew Magna. [There was another John HALL in Bristol who regularly appears in papers]
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 09 July 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hannah More was Somerset based, so the stuff about John Hall probably came from general gossip in evangelical circles there, which was no doubt as vague as gossip usually is, rather than from actually knowing him. The guy who sponsored him was unitarian, therefore he must be too. I imagine, given his lack of theological training, that his  sermons were probably bland "respect those in authority" generalities. Your idea about the Herefordshire army link is a good one, though the Herefordshire John Hall had been to university, hadn't he? I've just been having a quick look at the National Archives Discovery site for army lists. You can download army lists for particular years (currently free) - I think WO64 or 65.