Author Topic: Bastardy Records  (Read 860 times)

Offline carolm56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bastardy Records
« on: Sunday 07 June 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
 I have a similar query. I had always assumed that that my mum and her siblings had the same father, I now have a copy of my aunts birth certificate there is no father named on it.  As her name was Gladys Lord Bennett (Bennett being my grandmother's maiden name)  I am wondering if 'Lord' may be a nod to the father. Is there any way I can research this further? She was born in 1919

Thank you

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
The name Lord might be a clue but if no father is named on the birth certificate unlikely you will find out who the father was.

Did she marry and name a father?  Was she the eldest of the siblings ie born before the marriage of her mother.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline carolm56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 19:10 BST (UK) »
She did marry but I haven't seen her marriage certificate. I guess I should order a copy. Yes she was the eldest of the siblings, born 4/5 years before the marriage of her mother

guest189040

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 21:27 BST (UK) »
Court Records could yield results if she petitioned the Court for what we know as maintenance.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 07:35 BST (UK) »
She did marry but I haven't seen her marriage certificate. I guess I should order a copy. Yes she was the eldest of the siblings, born 4/5 years before the marriage of her mother
did she marry as Gladys Bennett / Gladys L Bennett or Gladys Lord Bennet ??
added
Gladys L Bennett married George Hartsorn in Salford 1936 - making her 17 at the marriage ...is that her ??
and lets not forget that WW1 ended on 11th November 1918 - I bet there were many many  births to single women 9 months later - 1919 ...celebrations - too much to drink - these things happen  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline carolm56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 08:40 BST (UK) »
Yes that is definitely my Gladys Bennett.  I understand these things happen just a shame I can't find out any more about her father

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 09:19 BST (UK) »
Free index to the 1939 Register seems to have Gladys born in 1918
Gladys Hartsory, 1918, Salford C.B., Lancashire, 23 Fawcett Street

Born in December apparently. Fitting with the Gladys Lord Bennett birth reg March qtr 1919

Did she die as Hartson? :-\
Dec 1965 Salford 10f 475
Hartson, Gladys
age 49

Offline carolm56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
Yes she did. I never met her though. As a child I was super excited to get to meet my Aunt who lived in Australia. Sadly when she docked in Southampton my Grandmother got a telegram to say that she was very ill and was to be transferred to Hope Hospital and that is where she passed away. I remember as a child being devastated that I never got to meet my Aunt who lived so far away. To this day I believe she came home to die.

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 12:10 BST (UK) »

The family seems to be down as HARTSON in the Australian National Archives:

Hartson, Gladys born 1918; Irene born 1949 - arrived Melbourne per SS NEW AUSTRALIA 19 May 1955 - Application for an assisted passage to Australia under the United Kingdom and Australian Government Agreement

Hartson, Gladys; George; Roy; Irene - arrived Melbourne per SS OTRANTO 7 February 1952 [document removal slip only]

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ListingReports/ItemsListing.aspx