Author Topic: Gillies Family in Knoydart, Kylesmorar, Mallaig 1770s to 1880s  (Read 813 times)

Offline San Alland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gillies Family in Knoydart, Kylesmorar, Mallaig 1770s to 1880s
« on: Tuesday 09 June 20 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've traced my family back to Knoydart and Kylesmorar (and later Mallaig).

I'm looking for information on:
-the birth of DONALD GILLIES in or around 1794 in Knoydart (farmer in Kylesmorar from at least 1834 to 1841, and lottar in Mallaig by 1851)
-the date/place of marriage of DONALD GILLIES to JANET/JANNET/JESSIE Mc/MacDONALD (born Arisaig)
-the burial place of DONALD GILLIES (died Mallaigveg 1869)
-the burial place of JANET McDONALD GILLIES (died Mallaig 1885)
-the birth (likely in 1770s), marriage, and emigration or death/burial of Donald Gillies's parents LACHLAN GILLIES, fisherman and CHRISTINE/A GILLIES (MS McKinnon), likely in Knoydart or Kylesmorar (if in Knoydart, were they cleared to Canada, or did they stay, or did they pass away before 1853? Can't find in 1841 census either.)

I'm aware Catholic records in the area don't seem to date before 1832/3, but perhaps some of these people might show up in someone's family histories, or in post-1833 burial and emigration records for Knoydart and Mallaig/Morar?

Where does one write to get burial info for Old Morar, Morar, Kilchoan etc? I have physically searched in Morar and a bit in Arisaig (St Mary's), but there are a lot of graves!

Any help is appreciated :-)

Offline RanaldtheCalf

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gillies Family in Knoydart, Kylesmorar, Mallaig 1770s to 1880s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 23 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I have documented this family.  This couples son John married into my North Morar Gillies family.  See family group attachment.