Author Topic: Jones Family 1926 Brandon Manitoba  (Read 2155 times)

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jones Family 1926 Brandon Manitoba
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
Found this which helps answer whose Sophie son was.
From Brandon Sun 25th Sept 1963
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 June 20 07:37 BST (UK) »
Found the year books for Brandon College, Manitoba 1951 and 1953 and the same picture of  Mrs Sophie MacDonald appears.
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
Lovely photo :)

RK

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hiya,
Latest I have seen is 1939 and still named Miss Sophie Jones, but in 1948 its Mrs Sophie MacDonald.
When did she marry and to whom where?
1976 is the last date i have seen as Mrs Sophie MacDonald.
Any help is most welcome and I thank you in advance.
Kind Regards
Paul Williams

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sophie Jones's second husband's obit (see reply 7), says that he married Sophie Jones MacDonald in 1966.   From then on, she went by the name Sophie McFadden.   I don't know when Sophie married Mr MacDonald.   

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 05:00 BST (UK) »
I can see some articles about her as Sophie O Jones in 1941.  Certainly her....providing music for St. David's Day celebrations.   (also named on William McFadden's tombstone as Sophie O Jones)

I can also see her from 1948 as Sophie MacDonald. 

Marriage to Mr MacDonald between 1941 and 1948

Marriage to William Evans McFadden in 1966

1985, she is called Mrs Sophie McFaddin in sister Dwynwen's obituary.  Only her surviving 3 siblings are mentioned.   Sophie is still alive in 1985... and living in Font Hill, Ontario. 

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 05:21 BST (UK) »
Found the marriage notice for Dorothy Mae Lamb, second daughter of Mr and Mrs T D Lamb of Macgregor Manitoba to Leading Stoker Iolo Jones, youngest son of Mr and Mrs W S Jones of Brandon.  Marriage took place on Oct 9 1943.   (Winnipeg Free Press Oct 16 1943). 

This confirms that Dorothy who married Iolo was Dorothy Lamb.  I suspected this to be true (see my earlier post - reply #4), but it is nice to be sure

Also in this marriage notice - it says that Mr C Jones, brother of the bridegroom attended him.  AND...during the signing of the register, Mrs S. J. MacDonald sang.   

I expect that the above is Sophie Jones MacDonald.   This narrows the search range for her marriage to Mr MacDonald....between early 1941 and October of 1943.

RK 

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi RunKitty,
I realised later 1976 was wrong as you had previously mentioned her second marriage was in 1966,
I search all through Canadian state marriage records and nothing was found
Thanks once again.
Kind Regards
Paul Williams

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 15:59 BST (UK) »
I'm not seeing anything either.   Marriages from the 1940s are not available on the Manitoba Vital Stats site yet.   Marriages more recent than 80 years ago are not public information.  However, since we have narrowed the marriage year to between 1941 and 1943, the information will be available in a couple of years. 

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

Just a thought...have you tried Minnesota?   Maybe she was married somewhere other than Manitoba? 

I have been wondering if Mr MacDonald died in the War? 

RK