Author Topic: Horton, Ribblesdale - Mills, Occupations and Great-grandparents  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Horton, Ribblesdale - Mills, Occupations and Great-grandparents
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 June 20 18:12 BST (UK) »

"White's Directory of Bradford, Halifax, Wakefield, .... and other towns ... being engaged in worsted manufacture ... followed by general trades directory of districts" (1887  15th edition)
Has an index of places. Horton (Great and Little) are under the post town of Bradford.

All above are in Library of University of Leicester Special Collections: Historical Directories of England and Wales. Pages can be viewed.
https://www2.le.ac.uk/library/find/specialcollections

Added. White's Directory includes a street directory for Bradford with business proprietors and tradespersons in each street followed by an alphabetical directory by name.

"White's Directory" 1887 had only 1 entry for Quaker Lane: Murgatroyd, grocer. Quaker Lane was off Southfield Lane. Junction was t 60 Southfield Lane.
I didn't look at any other directories in University of Leicester collection.
Cowban

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 June 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
Looking back at an earlier census of Horton, a child of 10/11years could have been expected to have some sort of job within a mill.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 June 20 18:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have 2 records of this family having 2 youngest  children working in the mill aged 10 and 12, trouble is it doesn't say which mills.  I've spent a good part of the day looking for clue's on the University of Leicester site recommended.  I have found an interesting Historical Sketch but no mention as yet of the Mathers.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 June 20 18:47 BST (UK) »
The census records only give an occupation of the recorded person.
There being an abundance of mills in the Bradford area going to be hard to match up.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 June 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
You might find the Bradford pages on Genuki of interest. The link here is for transcriptions of voting registers. William Mather appears on the electoral roll for Quaker Terrace in 1887 (but not 1886). The 1887 entry also gives a previous address of 6a Woodhead Lane. Quaker Terrace is found in Little Horton ward - Little Horton 2.

https://www.blunham.com/big/eng/YKS//WRY/Bradford/VRBradfordParly1884-1898.html
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 June 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is hard and I probably won't be able to find which mill but maybe the nearest to Quaker Terrace.  Thank you Millmoor for the further address, I hadn't seen that.  Will have a look in the morning if I can find where that is. 

Offline bertflo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 June 20 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi ,  I grew up in Louis ave little Horton many years ago, memory not the best, but there is/was a mill in little Horton lane not far from Quaker lane called Brigella mills, there was also a smaller weaving shed behind the old " black bull" pub.  there were heaps of mills in the great Horton rd area. hope this jogs someones memory
Kitson Families mainly bradford--doncaster  all yorkshire areas

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 June 20 06:56 BST (UK) »
Good morning Bertflo - That's amazing, thanks very much for that info.  I will try and find any information on it and get back to you.

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 June 20 11:12 BST (UK) »
Not surprisingly, like most mills in the north, Brigella Mill is now a carpet warehouse but I have got a picture of it.  I can't find as yet if it was a worsted mill.  Father William was a Braid Overlooker and wife Sarah was a Braid Tenter (whatever that was) and other places he was an Engine Fitter and Worsted Weaver.
My family came across from Manchester and 2 of the children Maria Mather was born in Little Horton in 1890 and Elizabeth born 1885.  I have searched baptism records for them but no luck.  I'm not sure how long they were there but I think they were probably renting a place to live.  They were still in Horton on 1891 Census.  It looks like they were all back in Manchester by 1901 Census.
Lots still left to read!!