Author Topic: Horton, Ribblesdale - Mills, Occupations and Great-grandparents  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Horton, Ribblesdale - Mills, Occupations and Great-grandparents
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 14 June 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
The final year where William Mather appears on the electoral roll in Quaker Terrace is 1892.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 14 June 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Millmore.  I've been searching for a baptism record for Elizabeth or Maria born in Horton.  The mother Sarah was a Catholic and all the other children were baptised in Catholic church.  I don't know the nearest Catholic church to where they were living so maybe they waited until they got back to Manchester.
Maybe William returned to Manchester early as I have him on 1891 Census as being in Manchester.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 14 June 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
I've been searching for a baptism record for Elizabeth or Maria born in Horton.  The mother Sarah was a Catholic and all the other children were baptised in Catholic church.  I don't know the nearest Catholic church to where they were living so maybe they waited until they got back to Manchester.

To locate churches in an area, do a search on GENUKI and put Horton, Bradford, Yorkshire, or Bradford, Yorkshire. There should be an inter-active map with coloured markers for every church, a different colour for each denomination. You can also search for churches of a chosen denomination within a set radius. The list of results has the number of miles distant + a map reference. Can then check if a likely church existed at the time and where registers are. GENUKI is a volunteer website so information on each place depends on the volunteers running those pages. I'm familiar with Lancashire pages, not Yorkshire.
Sarah would have arranged her children's baptisms asap, probably within a few weeks of birth. Infant mortality was still high, especially in industrial towns and cities. My great-grandparents, who lived in a Lancashire cotton town, buried 3 babies in the 1890s.   
Cowban

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 June 20 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you both Maiden Stone and Bumble B for your suggestions.  I've had a go at it and I've found the page with all the coloured markers and can see some possible churches St Joseph's RC Church Bradford or the Polish Church.  I have found Quaker Lane on the map and St Joseph's is the nearest.  Later I will look on the GENUK site.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 14 June 20 19:21 BST (UK) »
The Polish Church may be more modern possibly founded after WW2 to cater for Polish refugees. There were over 1000 Polish people in Bradford after the war. Their priest mysteriously disappeared in 1950s. 
Cowban

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 14 June 20 19:41 BST (UK) »
I assume that if the records exist they will be added in time to the Catholic records on FindMyPast which has been building up its collection of RC records for England (more Scottish RC records were added last week - so it is worth keeping an eye open each Friday!).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 June 20 19:44 BST (UK) »
Not surprisingly, like most mills in the north, Brigella Mill is now a carpet warehouse but I have got a picture of it.  I can't find as yet if it was a worsted mill.

There's a photo of Brigella Worsted Mills dated 1928.  I found it on Bing images. So it was a worsted mill by 1828.

Brigella Mills has an entry on Yorkshire Industrial Heritage website https://yorkshire.u08.eu/62502
Aerial photo + map. There's space for comments but no comments received.
The list of Bradford mills by Yorkshire Industrial Heritage which is reproduced in Wikipedia has map co-ordinates for each mill. You could practise map-reading and plot them on an old map.  :)

Bradford history + selected photos from Francis Frith collection. There was a 5 month strike in Bradford in 1891. Some strikers rioted. Independent Labour Party was founded there 2 years later.
https://www.francisfrith.com/bradford/history

More history + photos of Bradford mills in an article in "Yorkshire Magazine" - "The Industrial History of Bradford - Gallery"
https://www.on-magazine.co.uk/yorkshire/history/industrial-history-bradford-gallery

Cowban

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 15 June 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Millmoor - that's interesting about there being a strike in the mills in 1891 as that is about the same time that the Mathers left Horton and went back to Manchester, maybe that was the reason.

I have found on GENUKI Bradford Parliamentary Registers for 1886, 1888, 1890, 1891, 1892 Little Horton Ward.  The 1886 one shows him at a different address 3 Bakes Street.  Perhaps he went there alone without the family to start with.

I have found some detailed info on the mill and it has been the same name since the beginning.
https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=944470 

If you wonder why I've been quiet this morning its because I've come across an excellent website that may help me with my searches https://sites.google.com/site/livinginindustrialbradford/ 

So back to my searching.  Thanks again for all your help.