Author Topic: SEWARD  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SEWARD collection....
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 June 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
I think this is Garvan Road, a bunch of Sewards outside for what seems a wedding.  The Edward Thomas Seward is central right with his hand in his waistcoat pocket. My father is the young chap at the very top centre in front of the window......   
Seward (Linc'shire) (W. London)
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: SEWARD
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Borley Manor.

Have you now worked it all out from what Dundee and Lady Di have found for you?

Edward was illeg as you know.
His Mother Elizabeth by 1881 is with John Clements.
On his Marriage Cert Edward uses his Step Father Johns 1st name and Occp as his Father but  to save embarrassment.

His half sister Thirza Clements married from his and Alices home in 1901

Lovely photo :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
Possible Death Reg;
Sep 1886
Clements    Elizabeth age 43***    Fulham 1a 177
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
Trish 1120,   I am certainly trying hard to keep all this in one piece, however, I return to a copy birth certificate I have here.....   

Reviewing my original findings from years back, I had found a Thomas Daniel Seward born c.1825. He was married to a Fanny (late Brady), formerly (Davis).    He was a cabinetmaker.
They had a child Elizabeth Alice Seward 13.11.1852 in Shoreditch.  They resided at 5, Craven Street.

The address is so logical, 5,Craven Street, Hoxton, Newtown Mddlesx to not be part of the Seward clan. Names that sort of relate, geographical reasoning, missing fathers etc.......  the entire situation is so confusing....!!!!  So near, yet....!!
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 15:04 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Alice Seward was the daughter of Daniel & Fanny (according to familysearch)
She was born 13 Nov 1852, bp 17 Dec 1852 St John the Baptist (Abode=Craven St)
Elizabeth Alice Seward died aged 4 months and was buried 8 Mar 1853 St John Hoxton

This Elizabeth had nothing to do with your family and was not the mother of your Edward.

edit - apologies for the upper case - have rectified
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thank all you good people who answered my call. It is more or less completed now, just a few hundred more ancestors to track down now....!!!!     I had so many Herrings of a multitude of hues to contend with and not a lot of experience.... thank you again....
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 03:22 BST (UK) »

The address is so logical, 5,Craven Street, Hoxton, Newtown Mddlesx to not be part of the Seward clan.

With apologies - I don't know London streets … What was the possible link between Craven Street Hoxton & Garvan Road Fulham? I thought they were on opposite sides of the city (but then map reading was never my strong suit!)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 13:08 BST (UK) »
Lady Di,    I did my mothers family tree a number of years ago. During the seemingly impenetrable details pertaining to the research, I discovered many, many spelling errors, writing errors, print errors, mainly by those recordists that should have known better, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Blinkered as I no doubt was by the Seward name during research some years back now, I found this other Seward somewhere in the official records. Assuming Cravan was a misspelling of Garvan, mere mention of a Elizabeth Alice on the birth certificate, plus, like you, not being conversant with London at all, I assumed the link was within my family........ alas I was again in error. I currently flagellate myself myself on the hour with a slipper made of steel...... to assume in family history is the road to perdition....

I do hope I have not upset, or caused unnecessary time wasting on my behalf in this confusing Seward saga to anyone. I like to think that out of it all, I now have some degree of accuracy and confirmation in my familial history. For that, I thank each and every one of the contributors to my quest, thank you.
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)