Author Topic: Diary > Friday 12th June  (Read 503 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 12th June
« on: Friday 12 June 20 22:47 BST (UK) »
And once more ….. rain rain rain rain rain.

Art class Zoom meeting this morning, not many attendees but nice to see those who were there. Learned from my art teacher that I should have used light to dark with my oil pastels and used a solvent after the first layer. I don't have any so was told I could use baby oil instead, I do have some of that. The solvent is quite expensive and I don't want to buy any until I decide how much I want to continue using this medium.

After lunch I decided that I'd start again with the picture and do things in the right order, used the other side of the paper as it's quite expensive. Spent a while doing that, the sky was getting brighter and at one point the rain actually stopped. I decided I'd go for a walk as I was getting cabin fever after being confined indoors for the second day. Then the rain started again so I continued with the picture. Phoned a friend, we had a long chat, the afternoon had almost gone. Made some changes to my supermarket order for next week.

Everything else the same as usual. The ads on TV are so getting on my nerves, there's a particular one that's always on, I have to turn the sound off.

Rain forecast again tomorrow morning then some sunshine in the afternoon, hooray!

Hope folks have had a more interesting day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 12th June
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 20 23:22 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - Oh not more rain.... thankfully our skies were not leaden looking and it did feel quite a bit warmer than yesterday.
Great to hear about your painting and hope you're enjoying the challenge of using a newish medium!
Hopefully you'll be able to get out tomorrow for your walk...

Not sure my day was necessarily interesting but productive....
Awoke quite early, read for a while before getting up...
After breakfast I did an hours Yogalates which certainly made me feel better and I really enjoyed it... needed all that stretching after sewing yesterday!
Had nice hot shower and cleaned the bathroom.
Up the garden with OH to see how the vegs are doing... broad beans have lots of pods on them just need to fill out
Beetroots can be pulled soon
Raspberries already showing signs of fruit which considering they're autumn fruiting plants is unbelievable!
There are some whoppers on the strawberry plants and are ripening nicely so decided I'd rather be eating them than the slugs so picked the best and put into a bowl with a few ripe ones from my shop yesterday on the windowsill to ripen. One measured 5cm!
Bread making day today... that means a late lunch... but worth the wait (2.30pm!) mostly grannery flour used so tasted lovely and nutty... had half the crust each with butter on....
Spent rest of the a/noon sewing the next 5 scrubs tops... nearly finished them just hems and vents to do then that's all tops done...
Start trousers tomorrow, they shouldn't take too long only two pockets and seams quick to sew. OH golfing tomorrow so will make good headway then!
Made chicken, leek & mushroom with tarragon pie, little new carrots and broccoli...
Watched some tv early night...

Hope others have had a good day... despite it being same old same old!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 20 09:01 BST (UK) »
As you say Caroline, same old same old.... but you have done so well, with produce from the garden, home baking and all those scrubs. Superb team effort.

Roobarb, I have no idea how you can get away with turning over art paper after you have put baby oil on it, but how fascinating!!  I so envy you having some artistic talent.  I can do rambling leaves with abstract flowers, but nothing which is supposed to look like a particular something!!

Yesterday woke up at 06:15. The wind was howling and trying to break our tomato plants, and the water was wild.  I cut up a crust , added a handful of oats and nipped down to the pond in a light shower.  The water birds were happy to see me, but I was horrified what a narrow escape the tiny ducklings had from being eaten by the adult swans who are so greedy.  The trick appears to be throwing some to one side for the swans and cygnets, which are really big now, then quickly scattering to the other side for the little birds.

Husband awake when I returned, he is feeling down considering the global implications of this mess we are in, but we can only control our own actions, so I told him he should stop reading the news reports continually and reminded him of the Serenity, Courage and Wisdom mantra! 

Had a video chat with some chums in Cumbria, then made a little progress with the biography sketch of my mother's life for the family history.  Not easy to be truthful in a detached manner.

A fledgling sparrow flew into our balcony door with a worrying thump.  It sat quivering and cheeping on the balcony, attended by both parent birds, until recovered sufficiently to flutter away.

During the afternoon loads of wanna-be surfers parking on the yellow lines to assess the waves.  I wonder how far they have driven to get here and if they are staying all weekend. 

Curry night for H, so I fall back on my favourite baked potato and tinned mackerel with salad, then put on lots of clothes for a walk along the sea front as still damp, grey and cold.  Very blowy and salt spray everywhere.  About 20 surfers and paddle boarders in the water, and a different cruise ship on the horizon, which seems to be the "Carnival Valor" sailing under a Panama flag. 

Took some more oats for the ducklings, they really are way TOO cute. Another couple arrived with bread while we were there and the adult swan got out of the water to take it from them!

Sad that Springwatch has finished. Chris Packham seemed far more relaxed during this season than usual, I thought.  Then Monty Don and a couple of hilarious episodes of The IT Crowd.

I do wish I had not taken the electric blanket off the bed in May!!

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 20 09:14 BST (UK) »
Sat 13th
Quite right Mowsehowse
I had to use a hot water bottle a few nights this week and yet during the same night I ditched the bed clothes, noticed my husband has put the heating back on, he feels the cold more than I do.

Nicer morning so far so might venture out to shop with my mask on as always, then as has already been said "same old, same old"

Have a nice day

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 June 20 21:45 BST (UK) »
Caroline, your garden sounds fabulous, I'd love to have space to grow all those veg but then I suppose it would be a whole lot more work too. I'm pleased with my limited efforts of growing lettuces in containers, also spring onions but they're going to be a while before they're any use. You're doing an amazing job with the scrubs.

Mowsehowse, the application of baby oil was on the second effort, it's not quite as extreme as it sounds, it doesn't actually penetrate the paper, only a small amount is applied with a brush. The paper is also a thick acrylic paper, that's probably why it's so expensive.  The painting smells nice too!  :D

Louisa Maud, I've had the central heating on more lately than I can ever remember in June, I feel the cold too.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales