Poll

Will you go to the high street shopping now?

Oh Yes, here I come!
8 (10.3%)
Oh No, not on your nelly!
52 (66.7%)
Not sure yet. I find this fence comfy.
18 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Sunday 28 June 20 22:02 BST (UK)

Author Topic: Will you go shopping on the high street now?  (Read 8935 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Will you go shopping to the high street now?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 June 20 14:37 BST (UK) »
I've added a Poll now, which should be interesting.

:)

I only wish Maplin Electronics hadn't gone bust, otherwise I'd have been very tempted to go in there. Especially so, that quite often it would normally be really quiet in there.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 June 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
The problem is guy that so many people are completely ignoring it and touching other people even when they ask them not to.  Personally I find that really rude even without covid.  I think to open safely they need to be strict with social distancing and ask those who are determined to enforce themselves into other people's space to leave.  These selfish people are ruining it for everyone because social distancing only works when everyone tries to do it.

I see that Boris Johnson is now considering reducing the social distancing to 1 metre. That is really about the distance that most people keep in "normal" times to avoid invading personal space.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 June 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
I suppose you could make a costume with kippers hanging down from it and try and build up a generous and audible flatulence skill. Oh, and stick rice crispies to your face to look like growths too for good measure.

That should create a good antisocial distance.
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
I certainly won't be hitting the shops tomorrow, but that will be no different to what I did anyway. I hate shopping and can see no point in going just for the sake of it. I do most of my shopping on line and have done for years, unless I am away on holiday or at my caravan, when I do shop in the supermarket.

My views are similar to Groom.  I avoid shopping at the best of times so feel no urge to hit the High Street any time soon. 

That said, I do think it is important we start to develop what the new normal is going to look like.  Schools and workplaces have to be allowed to find solutions to social distancing and to start rolling these out.  I think once that starts to happen we can start to move to what our new normality will look and feel like.  Life isn't going to be the same as it was, there will be spikes (for any number of reasons), and I think we should start to identify positives that have come out of the pandemic.  It is time to re-evaluate how we live our lives - does working have to be done from an office?  Should air travel go back to pre-pandemic levels?  Should there be a limit to the number of tourists allowed in one area (think Venice etc) at any one time? 

I do not trust Bojo, Hatt Mancock or the others.  I think they are self-serving and do not understand the world outside their Westminster bubble.  Therefore I do think that it is increasingly important that there is more transparency at government level, and that we the electorate hold our politicians to be accountable for their actions.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:23 BST (UK) »
I suppose you could make a costume with kippers hanging down from it and try and build up a generous and audible flatulence skill. Oh, and stick rice crispies to your face to look like growths too for good measure.

Oh and don't forget to eat plenty of garlic  ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:35 BST (UK) »

So it was you I saw  (and smelled) in Tescos the other day?  ;D
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
If you mean the one with the sardines dangling down from the Aussie cork hat, then yes that would have been me!  :P

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:39 BST (UK) »

I have snatched an eye test appointment for Monday pm.

I'd assumed opticians wouldn't be open. How can they do an eye test and still keep 2 metres (or even 1 metre) distance?

Mine is way overdue, so I'd love to know if they are opening.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
Lovely image, Trystan, I can just imagine ( and smell) it.

I've only done a weekly trip round the supermarket, picking the quietest time I can, with a list written in order of the aisles. Then I'm glad to scamper back to the car and get home.

I'd dearly love a swift visit to a garden centre for one or two little things, but I'm thinking I might well wait until everyone who has been all over the garden centres ( I've driven pastthe local ones, monitoring them) has decided to go on from them, and get all over the shopping centres ... then I might risk a short visit, in and out like a fat little flash, to get the bits to allow me to complete a few jobs in the garden.
I really can't see what, apart from "the Economy" ( i.e., the big bosses) will gain if we all go down with a second wave of Corvid 19. I'm sure also it's an attempt, by encouraging people back to work,  to stop the cost of government having to spent our money - remember: they haven't any of their own - on furlough payments etc.
And Heaven help the many firms who have reached out gratefully for loans ... it'll soon be payback!!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)