Poll

Will you go to the high street shopping now?

Oh Yes, here I come!
8 (10.3%)
Oh No, not on your nelly!
52 (66.7%)
Not sure yet. I find this fence comfy.
18 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Sunday 28 June 20 22:02 BST (UK)

Author Topic: Will you go shopping on the high street now?  (Read 8928 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will you go shopping on the high street now?
« Reply #63 on: Monday 15 June 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
Did my fortnightly shop at Tesco this morning, in the same complex is a Sports Direct store and I counted no less than 37 people in varying degrees of social distance queued outside, when I pushed my trolly out of Tescos about an hour later, the tail end charlies I had noticed in the Sports Direct queue had just about made it to the top of said queue. 

I couldn't help but wonder, why would people queue for an hour to get into a sports shop?  Queuing at a supermarket for food and toiletries etc., yes.  But why queue for track suit bottoms or trainers?  As opposed to ordering online.  Or as opposed to simply coming back another day, when the queue would be shorter?  Their choice of course, but I don't understand them.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 15 June 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
Been to the shoe shop this morning in and out in 10 minutes tops, went by myself but took one of our granddaughters shoes with me. They had the same shoe in stock so I bought that knowing they would fit her (the shoes have to fit the AFOs (splits) not her feet) so no problems there.
Very relieved these will last another 3 months unless she is called in for new AFOs then it will likely be treking round almost every shoe shop in the local towns trying to find a shoe to fit the new size and shape of the AFOs.
When she was younger we would often have to buy two pairs of shoes at the same time as the AFOs are hand made and often one was larger than the other meaning different shoe sizes.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

guest189040

« Reply #65 on: Monday 15 June 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
PRIMARK.

It is beyond my understanding as to why people have been queueing for hours waiting for the shop to open

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 15 June 20 14:44 BST (UK) »
PRIMARK.

It is beyond my understanding as to why people have been queueing for hours waiting for the shop to open

They obviously have nothing better to do with their time. Empty vessels!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 15 June 20 14:57 BST (UK) »
I went to the local Iceland, Superdrug  and Poundland and there were no queues, all were almost deserted, so was the carpark.
rayard.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 15 June 20 15:08 BST (UK) »
Just seen a picture of the queue outside a central London store - ridiculous! 

What do people not understand about social distancing?  Why aren't the shops policing the queues?  They'll moan soon enough if another 3 month lockdown is enforced when a new spike of Covid-19 comes along.

I'm staying home for the time being.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 15 June 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
Just seen a picture of the queue outside a central London store - ridiculous! 

What do people not understand about social distancing?  Why aren't the shops policing the queues?  They'll moan soon enough if another 3 month lockdown is enforced when a new spike of Covid-19 comes along.

I'm staying home for the time being.

I agree. One slightly positive aspect to all this shopping, demonstrating, rioting etc is that - surely - if we don't get a second spike in a couple of weeks following all that, then we can consider ourselves in the clear, for now.
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 15 June 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
I've studied the pics Gadget posted, and I can't see anything but young adults doing the shopping. No oldies.

I'm happy for them to put lockdown easing to the test for the rest of us, as that's obviously the way its panning out.

HELP!!!