Author Topic: Request to date Swendell family photo taken circa 1910. No restoration required.  (Read 855 times)

Offline mbcx3psw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This is a picture of my great grandfather and great grandmother with what I believe to be family members. I'd like to try and date to help with identifying the other people in the photograph especially the girl. The girl may be my grandmother who was born in 1917, but I think the fashions in the photograph are too early for this. The research I've done, mostly based on the women's hats, suggests that this photo was probably taken in about 1908. Annoyingly I can't make out anyone's hands clearly enough to check for wedding rings. The only other girl that I'm aware of in the family at around this time was born in 1897.

I can say the following with certainty. The man on the left of the photo is Thomas Swendell (1870 to 1949) and stood next to him is his sister Caroline Swendell (1880 to 1964). The lady sat on the left is Sarah Horsfall (1880 to 1969) my great grandmother. She married Thomas Swendell in May 1913. The other woman sat down is Sarah's sister Martha Horsfall (1876 to 1962).

I'm pretty sure that the photo was taken in Bradford, Yorkshire as all the people I've identified were recorded as living there in the 1901 census.

The remaining people I can make an educated guess at. The man stood next to Caroline is probably her husband Willie Hardwick (1877 to 1940) they were married in February 1901. The two men stood on the right are clearly brothers. I think they are probably Thomas' brothers William Swendell (1872 to 1935) and Henry George Swendell (1869 - 1922) far right. If I'm right about William and Henry then the remaining lady is probably Martha Smith (1873 to 1932) who married William Swendell in October 1901.

The Horsfall's had a third sister who was married in September 1909 so the photo could have been taken then, but I'm puzzled why more family members (including the bride) aren't included and why my great grandfather would be invited to a wedding when he wouldn't marry my great grandmother for another 4 years.

My mum and dad have the original paper photograph which has nothing written on the back or any markings. The photo is approximately 7cm by 4cm with rounded corners. The photo isn't mounted. It was probably quite dear to my grandmother as this was the only photo of this type in her house when she died.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading this far.

Paul
Wootton - Rubery (West Midlands)
Stewart - Ellis (County Durham)
Swendell - Horsfall - Clough (Yorkshire)
Saxon (Lancashire)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi and welcome to RootsChat....I would date this to around 1908-1912

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I agree with carol , early Edwardian.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Classic hats for that date, Carol  :)

Edwardian into George V

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
You don’t really need help with the little girl, but she is missing one Upper front tooth, so she is probably a little older than she looks.  Getting towards 6.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The child may not have a missing tooth, I think the photographer would have got her to smile with her mouth closed...it could be damage to the photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline mbcx3psw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone. This photo really fascinates me. The little girl is a mystery and the composition of the photo doesn't give a clue (to me at least) on whether her parents are in the picture.

Thanks once again.

Paul
Wootton - Rubery (West Midlands)
Stewart - Ellis (County Durham)
Swendell - Horsfall - Clough (Yorkshire)
Saxon (Lancashire)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
This has all the elements of a wedding photo.
It looks like husband & wife on the left + mother behind
& husband & wife on the right with brother & mother behind.
The little girl could belong to either one.
So was there a marriage 1910 +/- a couple of years with maybe
a 2nd. marriage & a child from a previous marriage.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The lady sat on the left is Sarah Horsfall (1880 to 1969) my great grandmother. She married Thomas Swendell in May 1913.

I'm sure I saw  Thomas in 1911 with children. I can't remember the age. I might be mistaken though.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***