Author Topic: Husthwaite Village  (Read 356 times)

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Husthwaite Village
« on: Sunday 14 June 20 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering whether anyone living in or lived in Husthwaite can help. One of my ancestors Jane Hall marr Henry Foster. In the census of 1891 they are living there and he was described as a Draper. I am trying to find a picture of his cottage/house/shop?. On the census the enumrator walked towards an Inn (I have the Landlord as John Taylor in this census and in Bulmer's Directory of 1890 says he is the Innkeeper of the Black Bull Inn) My ancestor Henry lived the third house before the Inn

I have tried to find a picture which shows the pub and the preceding properties but no luck to date. I was wondering if anyone can describe whether it was a shop/house/cottage or better still has anyone got a picture/knows a book I could look at. Any help appreciated

Thank you Gaynor

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Husthwaite Village
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 June 20 21:27 BST (UK) »
Always worth a look on Google Street View.... Husthwaite images seem to be from 2009
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 June 20 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

I never thought of that  ::) The property might still be there. Do you know if the pub still goes under that name, a lot of country pubs are revamped and change their name unfortunately.
Thanks again
Gaynor

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 June 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
Try http://www.husthwaitehistory.co.uk/gallery.php
1st photo, 2nd row shows Black Bull Inn.
Also 1st photo, 4th row.

See also: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2208431
Shows a cottage, formerly the Black Bull Inn, located on the village green.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks everybody
Found the photo on the 2nd photo. On another census she was living in the cottage next door to Black Bull lucky there was still a photo.
Gaynor