Author Topic: Marriage of Dauson Gibson and Janet Irvine  (Read 503 times)

Offline soldfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Dauson Gibson and Janet Irvine
« on: Sunday 14 June 20 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for some help please on the marriage of my 5th great grandfather. His name comes up as Dauson Gibson but I also find it spelt Dennison and Dunison who was married to Janet or Jean Irvine/Irvin.

I can't find any record of the marriage, birth, death or Census of any of them but they are both mentioned together as parents of Campbell, Frances, Samuel and Elizabeth.

Any help would be appreciated

Stay Safe

Regards
Sam

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Dauson Gibson and Janet Irvine
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 June 20 22:27 BST (UK) »
Do you have any dates at all?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 June 20 22:28 BST (UK) »
Late 18th C on births.
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 June 20 22:40 BST (UK) »
The Scottish births (were the children born in Scotland?) should include date and place of parents' marriage normally.

Added: Sorry, Don. Mis read 18th for 19thC  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 20 22:47 BST (UK) »
I think the point is that Sam obviously has information he has not yet put on the thread, for example where and when the chiildren were baptised.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline soldfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 20 23:03 BST (UK) »
I think the point is that Sam obviously has information he has not yet put on the thread, for example where and when the chiildren were baptised.
Hi sorry yes for the dates Frances the 1st child I have found was born in 1781 if this would help.
thanks again
Sam

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 20 09:02 BST (UK) »
So if the eldest child was baptised in 1781, the marriage must have been about 1780. So Janet must have been born say 1750-1760. The chances of her surviving until 1841, the first census that listed people by name, is very small, so it's no wonder you can't find them in a census.

You might find one or more of the children in a census, provided that they survived until at least 1841 and stayed in Great Britain.

The Scottish Genelogy Society has published booklets with memorial inscriptions covering Renfrewshire, but I don't have copies. https://www.scotsgenealogy.com/Home.aspx