Author Topic: Norwood workhouse school - central London district school  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Norwood workhouse school - central London district school
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 June 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
So I guess now I am back to wanting to see where I can get to with their parents and to see if I can trace the remaining siblings. I don’t think the Edwin in Portsea is correct as i found his marriage and his father was listed a Samuel.

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 November 22 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon

I am interested in this thread, two of my ancestors went to Norwood school in 1848 and are not in the Westminster book as they were sent from Christchurch Workhouse in Southwark and the Parish to which charged was St Saviours.  I've found them being discharged from the Workhouse on 8th August 1848 but wondered how I would look to see if they have been recorded being admitted to Norwood School.  Thanks very much. 

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 November 22 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I've found them being discharged from the Workhouse on 8th August 1848 but wondered how I would look to see if they have been recorded being admitted to Norwood School.

As explained above, there are unfortunately no admission/discharge registers for the Norwood School before it was taken over by the Central London School District.

I’m having trouble finding any children discharged from Christ Church workhouse on 8 Aug 1848. What exactly does the workhouse discharge register say please?

If they were at Norwood in the 1851 census, can you post the reference please?

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 November 22 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your message.

Matilda Horton and her 2 daughters Mary Ann and Agnes went into the Workhouse.  The following day 8th August 1848 the daughters were discharged and it says 'Sent to Norwood'.  Less than a year later the girls are sent back to the Workhouse on 3rd June 1849 and discharged with their Mother the following day.  They, therefore, weren't at Norwood during the 1951 census and I've found the girls separately elsewhere.  We think their Mother had a baby whilst they were at Norwood. 

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 November 22 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting the details.

I'm afraid there won't be any other record for the admission to Norwood. There are no separate registers for Norwood, and no surviving registers for St Saviour's Union of their children who were sent to the school at that period.

I don't see any settlement examinations for St Saviour for that date either, unfortunately.

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 November 22 18:01 GMT (UK) »
No worries - thanks for taking the time to reply