Author Topic: Sophia Anderson  (Read 2591 times)

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sophia Anderson
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 June 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
I keep trying to post photos of the certificates I have but it wont let me as says the attachment is too big. What can I do to reduce this as it would be easier perhaps if I could post the 2 certs that I have?

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 June 20 21:57 BST (UK) »
Did George have a middle name, also what was his occupation on his marriage?

Forgot to add, he died in Dundee in 1931 and his occupation at that point was a jute mill stoker

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 June 20 22:00 BST (UK) »
George was born around 1878, cant find a birth cert for him..

George's death was it this this one?

George Anderson Watson, aged 56 died in Aberdeen in 1931.

So, working from this, birth year c. 1875-6.

As has been mentioned, if you I would look to his 1911 census entry to check his place of birth. John Watson/Sophia Anderson may not have been married and his birth could be registered under Watson or Anderson. The more you can narrow down the info, hopefully the closer you get to finding the right birth for him.

Monica

nope, he died in Dundee in 1931

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 June 20 22:12 BST (UK) »
The Cheyne family look to have headed off to Canada c. 1912. Their 1916 census entry in North Battleford, Saskatchewan, Canada:

John Cheyne 58
Sophia Cheyne 62
John Cheyne 26
Mary Cheyne 28
William Cheyne 24
Edward Cheyne 19
Sophia C Cheyne 16
James Brooks 8
Archebald Davidson 0

There is family tree on Ancestry (you need a subs to view) which includes a photo with the whole family including Sophia Anderson - www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/39737803/person/410200039597/facts

From this, husband John Cheyne's death is shoiwing as 4 Feb 1926, Edam, Saskatchewan, Canada and Sophia's as 25 Feb 1926 Saskatchewan, Canada.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 June 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
Married on 2 June 1905
Sophia is still alive at this point according to the marriage cert and her name is still Sophia Watson
Maybe he didn't want to have to say that his father was still living and that his mother was married to someone else? Why not get a copy of that marriage certificate? It would settle the question of Sophia's marriage if it gives her parents as James A and Ann Reaper.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 June 20 01:52 BST (UK) »
Re Monica's reply #15

Anne Melvin was indeed another of Sophia Anderson's children.
b. 26 Dec 1878, Fintray. d. 17 Jun 1946, Craig.

Father was George Melvin, b. 26 Sep 1859, Tarves; d. 7 Nov 1919, Ellon.  He and Sophia did not marry, but both signed Anne Melvin's birth registration.

The Sophia McDonald Melvin mentioned above was Anne Melvin's first child; b. 26 Nov 1900. Anne went on to marry David Thom Findlay; they had 11 children.

The last of these was George Watson Findlay, my father. Anne Melvin seems to have commemorated her monther's spouses in this way: two other boys have the middle name Cheyne.
Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 June 20 05:52 BST (UK) »
In the marriage registration of 2 June 1905, George Watson states that his parents are John Watson and Sophia Watson, M.S. Anderson.

But as noted above, Sophia Anderson married John Cheyne on 6 Jun 1885, and on that document she is Sophia Anderson, Spinster. They and most of their children emigrated to Canada in 1912 (following son James who had migrated in 1904-5 according to Canadian censuses). So she was Sophia Anderson to 1885, then Sophia Cheyne.

It seems therefore that George Watson concealed (or didn't know) the fact that his mother and father were not married. Given that her name is given as Skene in his death registration, they may well have lost touch.

Interestingly Sophia's other illegitimate child Anne Melvin did exactly the same thing - claimed her parents were married but they never did.

I have all the certificates from Scotland's people, but of course cannot publish them here - crown copyright and all that.
Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 June 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
WOW!!! this is actually amazing, I have had these certificates and been looking at this on and off for a year now and you guys crack this overnight!!

Thank you guys so much for this,I really do appreciate all your help. Just had a look at the photos on Ancestry, so cool!

Now onto the next mystery.. how do I find out who John Watson was then!?

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 June 20 15:29 BST (UK) »
In the marriage registration of 2 June 1905, George Watson states that his parents are John Watson and Sophia Watson, M.S. Anderson.

But as noted above, Sophia Anderson married John Cheyne on 6 Jun 1885, and on that document she is Sophia Anderson, Spinster. They and most of their children emigrated to Canada in 1912 (following son James who had migrated in 1904-5 according to Canadian censuses). So she was Sophia Anderson to 1885, then Sophia Cheyne.

It seems therefore that George Watson concealed (or didn't know) the fact that his mother and father were not married. Given that her name is given as Skene in his death registration, they may well have lost touch.

Interestingly Sophia's other illegitimate child Anne Melvin did exactly the same thing - claimed her parents were married but they never did.

I have all the certificates from Scotland's people, but of course cannot publish them here - crown copyright and all that.

This is so interesting Gordon, thank you so much. I would have never found this all out myself!