Author Topic: Sophia Anderson  (Read 2582 times)

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sophia Anderson
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 June 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
WOW!!! this is actually amazing, I have had these certificates and been looking at this on and off for a year now and you guys crack this overnight!!

Thank you guys so much for this,I really do appreciate all your help. Just had a look at the photos on Ancestry, so cool!

Now onto the next mystery.. how do I find out who John Watson was then!?

I note on George Watson's birth cert that his father John Watson has signed the birth cert and under his name is Green of Udny. Udny Green is a small village in Aberdeenshire. His occupation is also a farm servant.

Ive had a look at some of the census records and I can see plenty of John Watsons in the area but none are Farm Servants.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 June 20 18:27 BST (UK) »
There is one showing in 1881 at the farm of an Alexander Forrest:

John Watson, 36, farm servant b.Fyvie, Aberdeenshire
Address: New Craig, Udny

Hard to say if he is the correct one with out more details (and not sure really where/how you can confirm further).

Have you found George yet in 1911 to confirm his birth place?

I haven't found him yet in 1891 but in 1901 he is showing as a 24yr old ploughman I think. Born in Ellon and at Skilmafelly, Savoch, New Deer.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 June 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
Would be good to double check the original for 1881 where John Watson showed as born c. 1845. Other censuses I think show him born c. 1855.

From 1901:

John Watson 46 Farm Serv (ploughman) b. Fyvie
Ann A Watson 24 wife
William A Watson 3
Alexander Watson 1

Address: Cottage, Udny

1891 has him as a farm servant in Milton Ardlethen, Ellon.

1861 is an odd one. Shows him as a 6yr old brother to a 34 yr old George Thompson  at Mains Of Tullo, Meldrum.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 June 20 18:59 BST (UK) »

I note on George Watson's birth cert that his father John Watson has signed the birth cert and under his name is Green of Udny. Udny Green is a small village in Aberdeenshire. His occupation is also a farm servant.

If it is his original signature, you could try to cross check with that possible marriage to wife Ann A Watson from 1901 and compare signature? You may be unlucky though and find that the image for this image is actually for a copy of the register page and not the original where the registrar/clerk has rewritten the entry as a copy and therefore the signature won't be the original

Forfarian, you are my go to person for all of this  ;D  I am right in saying this?

Monica

Added: Possible marriage - John Watson and Ann Andrew in Savoch in 1896

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 20 June 20 19:06 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, you are my go to person for all of this  ;D  I am right in saying this?
Yes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 20 June 20 19:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for confirming  ;)

Monica

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 20 June 20 20:31 BST (UK) »
There is one showing in 1881 at the farm of an Alexander Forrest:

John Watson, 36, farm servant b.Fyvie, Aberdeenshire
Address: New Craig, Udny

Hard to say if he is the correct one with out more details (and not sure really where/how you can confirm further).

Have you found George yet in 1911 to confirm his birth place?

I haven't found him yet in 1891 but in 1901 he is showing as a 24yr old ploughman I think. Born in Ellon and at Skilmafelly, Savoch, New Deer.

Monica

I found the 1901 census from New Deer too but also struggling for 1911.

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 20 June 20 20:40 BST (UK) »

There is another John Watson on the 1881 census and his occupation is noted as a butcher.

He married an Isabella Saughter, I think this John Watson signature is very similar to the one on George Watson's birth cert. His wife Isabella dies shortly after being married, and again the signature is similar

If it is his original signature, you could try to cross check with that possible marriage to wife Ann A Watson from 1901 and compare signature? You may be unlucky though and find that the image for this image is actually for a copy of the register page and not the original where the registrar/clerk has rewritten the entry as a copy and therefore the signature won't be the original

Monica

Added: Possible marriage - John Watson and Ann Andrew in Savoch in 1896

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 20 June 20 20:58 BST (UK) »
Monica,

I got your PM, im going to send you an email later with a copy of the certs that I have downloaded if thats OK to check as Im getting totally lost.