Author Topic: Diary > Friday 19th June  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 19th June
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 June 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
Caroline, You've been doing such an amazing job with the scrubs, I take my hat off to you. As for the scrubbing, I've never heard of Koh, perhaps because I don't have any cream upholstey.  ;) ;D
As a matter of interest I had a look to see what words scored highly in scrabble and amazingly, in the national scrabble chamionships, two of the highest scoring words were Upddates (105) and Moisten (96)! The next one was Cothurni - I'll leave that one with you!

Viktoria - what a picture you conjure up of your cleaning methods! You're very resourceful. My sofas weigh a ton so I got some furniture sliders to put underneath the bun feet so the sofas slide more easily across the carpet. You can use them for other furniture too but of course you'd have to get someone to lift the furniture and put the sliders underneath if it's too heavy for you. I believe you can use them on hard floors too but I think you'd have to be careful that the sofa doesn't go whizzing across the floor when you sit on it.  :D

Mowsehowse, what a frustrating day for you, glad you eventually got the antibiotics. If you have a smartphone you can use Google maps to give you satnav directions, I've sometimes found it better than the one that's built in to my car as it's bang up to date.

Tazzie, great to hear from you about how things have been at school. It does sound much more positive than I think a lot of people were expecting. Was hoping you'd also say how things were for you and there it was at the end, just one sentence but really pleased it's gone well for you. Enjoy your weekend, you deserve it.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 June 20 00:47 BST (UK) »
Viktoria - oh my god! I didn't read back what I'd written otherwise I'd have put my fau pas right! Of course what I meant was Prostrate! Which I'm sure you realised..... glad it gave you a good laugh though... we all need those these days...
You certainly sound like a miracle lady who has beaten the odds and long may it last... being young at heart and mind is so important.... my dear Mum was the same, at over 80 and living in sheltered accommodation she used to talk about all the old people who lived there!so I reminded her that she was one of them...
' Don't be silly dear, they're all older than me' she would say and I used to have a little smile to myself ... that's what kept her young and I'm sure you're the same.

Roobarb - If you check Koh out it's a miracle ( apparently) cleaner for everything from floors, kitchen surfaces, cookers, fridges in and out, bathrooms and furniture too...
OH's scrabble word was Steeply on triple word score, all tiles used so an extra 50 and the S was on the end of a word that had high value letters so that's what gave him that score.... I'll bear in mind Cothurni for the future!

Tazzie - it's good to hear from the horses mouth so to speak what's actually going on in schools and reassuring to know that children aren't missing out...it must be a real strain on all you teachers too... as my OH was a teacher for over 25 yrs I know what it's like being married to one with things running normally. Keep up your good work and try not to listen to all those teacher badgers out there...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 June 20 10:31 BST (UK) »
I have just managed to check back here and cackled out loud.
Thank you Ladies.

Good to hear the plan put in place is working Tazzie. Clearly it's vital for the secondary schools to be up and running for all, as soon as can be safe and practical. 

I do feel we are now reaping what we sowed when it was deemed imperative for toddlers to be in full time education, and I never got over the shock of a 2 week old being handed back to his mother after a full day in nursery, with "some bread that he made".  :P

Viktoria, you are SO like my downstairs neighbour, busy and active all the time.  But it sounds like I was very lucky the treatment I received after my heart attack in 2019 was available.  I am hugely grateful to be fit again, and am hopeful that I can drop one of the medications next month.

You say: "Never smoked, hardly ever drank any alcohol and walked everywhere really." I am the same which was probably a big help, though with a family history of early demise through heart problems I doubt I will see my 83rd birthday or beyond!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 June 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
Well I am back, I could not get on to this site, all settings changed and quite puzzled as to why ,thought my “widow cleaning “had got me chucked off!

Well, the fact that I survived after four days of no treatment and you got immediate help could mean you live to 93!
Do you know ,on my records it does not say the date, the Sunday ,but
“ During the week of December 6 th to 11 th 2009” what a cover up!

My Mum died from a heart attack back in 1957 but had been a smoker and
had Rheumatic fever as a child  damaged mitral valve, pre anti- biotics ,well early 1900s.
She was only 61.Wasn’t even taken to hospital .

Father’s Day today, kids phone anyway but especially on days like today,
usually he got another mug saying “Best Grandad in the World”,
Liquorice  Allsorts,Chocolate Brazil’s .
Hard to buy for as never wanted anything but easy to please.

Salmon, new potatoes,asparagus and lemon butter for tea.
I have a lot of milk to use up so might make a blancmange .
Hope you are all well,I am , you say I am industrious but I admire all you folk are doing .
Manana ,is becoming the norm!
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 June 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome back Viktoria.
Congratulations on fixing that.....

Sad about your Mum, but I am sure it has been a lifesaver for you that you never smoked or drank.

I may have been misleading with my post, so I should stress that I only just about managed to feed myself at the Coronation party in 1953, (and I reckon you had probably finished at school by then V,) so I have a long way to go to 80+, but with the advances in health care, if we can avoid the virus we can probably see 90+.

But would we want to??  :-\

Enjoy your chats to your children, and your blancmange..... I used to make that for my boys when they were small.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 June 20 09:36 BST (UK) »
Well a lovely sunny start to the week.
Well in 1953 I was in the sixth form then college .

Washing machine has started going walkabout so someone coming on Wednesday.No time as yet but I have to stay in another room, well
as the utility room is only about four feet wide!—-
I will have to empty it though.
Indoor step ladder ,clothes maidens, ironing board ,vac, etc etc, there is no room to manoeuvre.

Hope everyone is well, my knees are achey but kneeling (to cut out some material for blinds for said room ,)on the kitchen floor as it is tiled in square foot tiles and is a good way to get things accurate.
Then they will hang about until machine is working or son sets up my really old one.
No one but me I myself has been in here since lockdown.
Got some post due to be opened today ,a nice catalogue so maybe some more clothes I will never wear!
Neighbour’s daughter got me some Geraniums from Aldi ,two packs of six .
A bright magenta.
Well another cuppa and then as my mother used to say “ I must get wired in”
meaning start the day’s routine work.
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 June 20 10:44 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you are on top of things as always Viktoria.
Have a good day.x

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 June 20 11:26 BST (UK) »
Viktoria - Sorry to hear you have washing machine problems, hope you're able to get it fixed soon...
I have visions of you crawling around the floor cutting out fabric... one of my habits too..
when making the last lot of scrubs I spread 10 layers of fabric in our hall, fortunately its big enough to lay 150cm wide fabric and still crawl round .... at that point I was glad I've kept my yogalates up as all that stretching and bending wasn't too bad!

Enjoy your sunshine today... .same here and as you say ' I must get wired in too'!!

Mowsehowse - I think we must be about the same age going by your description of Coronation Day! My parents had a hotel in South Molton then and I do remember lots of flags, long tables and people eating! Oh happy days...
Not sure I want to be around if I'm not mentally and physically fit I'm afraid... my dear Mum was 91 when she died and her mind was that of a young person but bodily she was in a dreadful state.

speak to you all later- feeling better today

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 June 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Glad you are feeling a bit more upbeat today Cariline.

Don't over reach yourself Viktoria.