Author Topic: Info sought on Thompson family on this grave stone, please.  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Info sought on Thompson family on this grave stone, please.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
Looking at Henrietta Cecilia Thompson

It looks like she never married.

In 1881 she is showing as a teacher at St Mary's day school in hexham.

Born 1823 Newcastle
Died 22nd May 1894 St Mary's, Hexham

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
Well, every day is a school day .. I had no idea that Street was named after the priest!  Thanks Boo, that has added to my local history knowledge today.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
There's another newspaper reference to William's death but doesn't include any more details. The wording in the related death notice in Dolman's Magazine matches the MI though.

Newcastle Courant
23 Jun 1848
Literary Notices
Dulman's Magazine - (Dolman, New Bond Street, London)) - contains a beautiful written piece, entitled the "Spirit of Christian Art," and various other articles calculated to subserve the interests of Roman Catholicism. In the obituary appears the following; - "Of your charity pray for the soul of Mr William Thompson, who departed this life, at his house, No. 19, Trafalgar street, Newcastle upon Tyne."

Dolman's Magazine - June 1848
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=k9YEAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA325&lpg=PA325

Dolman's Magazine - June 1848 - Deaths
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=k9YEAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA388&lpg=PA388
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 21 June 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Lisa and cuffie for these additional finds.  It is incredible how much is being discovered - I will have such a lot to add to their biographies from what has been found out today.  Much appreciated!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 21 June 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
It looks like Ann Esther and Henrietta Cecilia were both nuns firstly in Sunderland (where FindMyPast has delightfully transcribed nunnery as nursery) and then in Hexham. I noticed that in the relationship column in the Hexham Convent the term sister is being used in an interesting way:
1871 Battle Hill Nunnery
Ann Thompson Head
Henrietta Thompson Sister
Jane Guest Sister
Frances Grady Sister.

(I suppose Henrietta is recorded as Sister in 2 different senses!).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 21 June 20 17:43 BST (UK) »
Henrietta was buried in St Mary's churchyard, Hexham (about 5 minutes from where I live) on 24th May 1894, abode 'Convent of Hexham'.

I have looked again at the image closely in light of what information has come forth and although not 100% about this I think I can now make sense of a few more words of the inscription.  I think it might read ..
..'ISABELLA THOMPSON
HIS WIFE WHO DIED AT ABERDEEN
AUG 27 ..'

I don't know what any one else might think  .. is the part about Aberdeen there or am I imagining it?  Might she have gone back to Aberdeen after Jarrow where you, Millmoor have discovered her, I wonder?  When I next get time to get to that cemetery I am going to have another close look at the inscription.

You are quite right about Aberdeen and the date!

Isabella senior died aged 81 on 27th August 1873 at Nazareth House, Cuparston, Aberdeen.
She is described as the widow of John Thompson, merchant in Shields, her parents Peter Mellis (deceased) and Elizabeth Mellis, maiden surname Strichen (deceased).

Despite her husband's name being wrong, this has to be the correct person I think.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 21 June 20 18:30 BST (UK) »
Marriage notice in Newcastle Courant 12 June 1840  at the " Catholic Chapel on the 8th inst by the Rev James Worswick, B.G Tyzack, Esq., solicitor  to Elizabeth Louisa eldest daughter of William Thompson Esq., merchant".

B.G Tyzacks = Benjamin George Tyzack

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 21 June 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Henrietta was buried in St Mary's churchyard, Hexham (about 5 minutes from where I live) on 24th May 1894, abode 'Convent of Hexham'.

As was Ann Esther on 4th September 1893.

There is a gravestone to two Thompson (religious) sisters in St Mary's burial ground. It is apparently very eroded. When I am released from the high-security unit I'm currently confined in  :-X I will go and inspect it. 
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 21 June 20 19:11 BST (UK) »
Some info on the Covent in Hexham.

Some of the sisters of mercy came from Sunderland. Which fits in with Ann Thompson.

https://www.stmaryshexham.org.uk/parish-history/