Author Topic: Meat and fie  (Read 443 times)

Offline Ryohei56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meat and fie
« on: Sunday 21 June 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi. I recently came across a reference to an individual who "Is bound prentise and servant for the Space of fyve yeares and ane year for meat and fie". There's a faint bell ringing at the back of my mind, but still I can't quite work out what the phrase 'meat and fie' means. I suspect in this context that it might indicate the new 'prentise' has to work a standard period plus an extra year to cover the cost of his food etc. Equally, I could be well wide of the mark.

Does anyone have an idea what is meant here? Dr. Google is remarkably silent on the matter.

Alan S.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and fie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
It means the apprentice got meat (ie fed) and an amount of money (fie/fee)
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Ryohei56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meat and fie
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pauline. I'm still not sure why the entry specifies the addition of that extra year and then specifically links it to the 'meat and fie'. I wondered if maybe the apprentice had to do that extra time for no reward, so the master could offset the cost of feeding and paying his minion over the five years?

This isn't an isolated case - I've come across several near-identical entries, so presumably it's a known practice. Yet, as I said, Dr. Google has nothing to say.

Alan