Author Topic: Leicester Factory Fire? About 1902  (Read 471 times)

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leicester Factory Fire? About 1902
« on: Wednesday 24 June 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello - researching from Canada.  I am trying to verify a family story that has been passed down re: Armstrongs from Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, Ireland.

The patriarch (Simon) died Dec. 1896 and his widow, Margaret, and their seven youngest children (ages 5 - 25) moved to Leicester.  In the 1901 Census, Margaret & her six youngest children are living at 37 Coral Street, and the 4 daughters are all working at nearby factories (2 eldest as hosiery seamers, 2 youngest making shoes - fitter, & machinist).  There was also a son, William (age 25), who had married and was living at 67 Hartopp (?) Road - he was working as a shoe & boot maker.

The family story is that there was a great factory fire, which resulted in the loss of jobs and income thereby prompting the family to emigrate to Canada.  They sailed March, 1904.

I wondered if this story is accurate, and if you could point me in the direction of specifically which factories these Armstrongs may have worked in and/or any information about the fire (if there was one).  Thanks, in advance, for your input ... hope that you are all staying safe & well on your side of the Atlantic.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Leicester Factory Fire? About 1902
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 21:23 BST (UK) »
There is this report in the Lakes Chronicle and Reporter 16 January 1901, a bit earlier than you thought though.  It mentions Belgrave, Coral Street where the family lived is in the Belgrave area.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 21:26 BST (UK) »

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information.  The England 1901 Census was taken 1 April 1901 ... a few months after this fire ... and the older children are described during the census as working.  Also, two of the daughters were making hosiery (would that also be made in a shoe factory?).  Perhaps there is a chance that SOME of the children lost their jobs in this fire ... but since the 1901 census just asks for "occupation", they stated what they HAD been working at. Unfortunately, I have no records exactly when the family left Ireland, just know that it was some time between Dec. 1896 and the 1901 Census.

There is one version of the family story that it was a fire in a factory in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary and it was that - and the loss of income (as much as the death of the patriarch) - which prompted the move to England.  I have no documents to support that any of the family worked in factories in Ireland ... so thought that I would start in Leicester ... in case the story was altered over time. 

I will contact Ireland as well, to see if a factory fire may have happened in Clonmel.  Thanks for your help!

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
Another fire at a shoe factory, Birmingham Daily Gazette 09 July 1902.  Western Road is closer to where the married son was living.

It appears that hundreds of jobs were lost in the boot/shoe trade as a result of these 2 fires.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton