Author Topic: Longstock and Leckford Schools  (Read 559 times)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Longstock and Leckford Schools
« on: Thursday 25 June 20 04:15 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me the dates of Longstock and Leckford schools please? I think Longstock closed in the middle of the 1920's so where did children go then? I think Leckford may have closed as well.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Longstock and Leckford Schools
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 20 05:05 BST (UK) »
The Longstock Village Design Statement 2009 lists that Longstock School closed in 1924 if it helps

Kay

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 20 07:31 BST (UK) »
Have you considered asking here?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/385607415205628

Stockbridge & District social history on facebook

(But they think Longstock closed in 1931)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 20 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hampshire Telegraph 25 May 1928

New Council Schools
Regarding the elementary schools, the Committee reported that the Hilmiston and Longstock Church Schools had been closed .....

Kay

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 20 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kay99 and chempat. There does seem to be a difference of opinion doesn't there regarding the closure so the reason for the question - if anyone actually knew!!

I have a student who would have been 5 in 1925 and left the area in 1929/30. That is the sticky bit, where did the poor kid go to school!! Not important in the scheme of things I suppose but does add to the story. Did wonder about Leckford but that has an odd history too it seemed.

Thank you, yes I saw the Village statement Kay99 and that is where I started wondering.

I will try that facebook page chempat and see what happens. I have seen 1927 somewhere but your 1931 is the latest

Will post back when I get an answer.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 June 20 10:53 BST (UK) »
Using Hampshire Record Office catalogue, Leckford school may have closed in 1923.  It was apparently built in 1864 and the record office has the admission book dated 1875-1923.

Similarly, the catalogue states that Longstock school (it was a Church school) closed in 1927.  It was built in 1868 and they have the admission register 1897-1926.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 July 20 02:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chempat for introducing me to the Facebook page of Stockbridge and District social history group. It is very interesting, full of old photos of places I know. Geoff Merrett who runs it is very helpful and has passed on to me copies of a couple of documents that were most intriguing.

As you said Chempat, they say 1931. So I am still not sure!!!

In one article it says that the infants were not sent to Stockbridge for a while to allow the older ones to settle in. Do not know how long that was, but it could account for the differences in dates. 1931 may have seen the last of the Longstock children going to Stockbridge. Still a bit of a gap though.

Would have been a long walk for little legs from Longstock and Leckford to Stockbridge. Some may have had bikes, but those were a big purchase for farm workers children, in other words most of them, during the Depression.

But then we walked from village to village those days anyway, little legs would have had to do that as well.