Author Topic: Trying to find out what happened to my grand-mother's body  (Read 2110 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find out what happened to my grand-mother's body
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 June 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
Do you know where her parents are buried?
Or your grandfather's burial place?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 June 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
What about Phyllis’s husband where’s he buried?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 June 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
Think that's what I asked... ;D

ADDED:
Marriages Dec 1936 
CHURCHES    Gwendoline M    Walkden    Dartford    2a   
Watson    Leslie H    Wood    Dartford    2a   1933    
Wood    Phyllis L M    Watson    Dartford    2a   1933   

Death
Leslie Hubert Watson b 18 Jun 1913 death registered Nov 1984 aged 71
Gravesend RD Volume 16 Page 922

Probate states he was also living in Swanley at time of death & cremated at Greenwich from deceased online.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 June 20 14:00 BST (UK) »
Both Hither Green and Eltham Crematorium opened in 1956 so she won’t have been cremated there but could be buried there but I would expect her to be a bit nearer home. Could she have been buried with her parents but not remembered on the gravestone?

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 June 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone.

Phyllis's husband, Leslie Watson, remarried very quickly in November 1949, and was cremated in 1984 at Eltham Cemetery.

Her mother Louisa Wood died in 1965 and was also cremated at Eltham crematorium.

Her father Leopold Wood and sister Dulcie are buried at Union Church Baptist churchyard in Crockenhill, Kent. I was told that there isn't a memorial for her at the Baptist cemetery but I don't know if the parish register was checked to see if she was buried without a memorial. I didn't know that there  was a possibility someone could be buried without a memorial :'(.

She was married at the Congregational Church in Swanley.  I emailed Christchurch church Swanley, as I think that might be the renamed Congregational church, but haven't heard anything back. Obviously that could be due to COVID.

I couldn't find any newspaper articles about her death. I did find the one about Leopold's death and burial in 1920.

Swanley history group suggested "Findagrave" and put me in touch with FELHS who didn't find a record of Phyllis being buried in Crockenhill.

Thanks everyone for all the help.
Best wishes
Louise

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 June 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
You've been assiduous in your search! Most of my rellies are buried without a memorial....

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 June 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
I know that Phyllis is not in the graveyards at All Souls Crockenhill or the Baptist Union graveyard, even though several of her relatives on the Wood side of the family are.

Have you actually checked the burial records of these two places? If you are going by the fact that there is no memorial in either place do bear in mind that very many people have no memorial stone.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 June 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the most likely is that she is with her parents. Having searched many graveyards over the last 20 years there are many of my relatives buried in the churchyard but with no gravestone.

My great grandfather has a surprisingly long obituary in the local paper but no gravestone in the cemetery!

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 June 20 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I'll try to contact some churches and I'll see if anything comes back when I get the will.
I'm going to have to learn what grants of probate and administration are. There's so much to learn as a newbie at family history research.

If you have her marriage certificate that should give her denomination which may help narrow down your church search.
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent