Author Topic: 34 Chambers Street  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
34 Chambers Street
« on: Friday 26 June 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate dated 1936 which states the ceremony took place at 34 Chambers Street, in the District of St. Giles - would that have been a registry office?
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 34 Chambers Street
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 20 20:51 BST (UK) »
If you go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you can look this address up in the 1935 Valuation Roll. It seems that the building at 34 Chambers Street contained an office and 3 dwellings.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 20 21:22 BST (UK) »
possible council office?
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 June 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
I don't think so. The tenant was a Miss Barbara Todd. Take a look for yourself.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 June 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
My parents were married in the Register Office in Chambers Street in 1945.

Not sure of the number but I will look out the certificate in the morning and get back to you.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 June 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
Interesting to look at the large-scale map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=55.94750&lon=-3.18990&layers=170&b=1

The numbering in Chambers Street starts at the east end of the north side of the street, and goes consecutively, both odd and even numbers, along the north side to No 32a, then No 33 is on the opposite corner at the west end of the south side, and No 34 is next door to it, outside Brown Square. Brown Square was demolished to make room for the extension to the National Museum, opened in 1998.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 June 20 10:58 BST (UK) »
Searching 34 Chambers Street in the newspaper archive produces a number of adverts from the Edinburgh Evening News  from 1939.

"Marriages completed and registered. Write or Call for Particulars  Free - Only Address: Beatties 34 Chambers Street, Edinburgh. 'Phone 25348. Est 1889."

Further to Forfarian's post articles in the Scotsman in May 1934 show that Barbara Tod was connected to the marriage agency as she was charged with having prepared a petition to the Sheriff for warrant to register an irregular marriage. The case was to do with the right of marriage agents who were not qualified solicitors to carry through the proceedings in relation to irregular marriages. She was found guilty and admonished.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 June 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
My parents were married at 34 Chambers Street, in 1937.

The office had moved to 2 Hunter Square, by the 1970s.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 June 20 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks one and all for an interesting topic

Best Regards