Author Topic: George Willson (Wilson) census lookup please 1841 to 1861  (Read 593 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Willson (Wilson) census lookup please 1841 to 1861
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 June 20 00:43 BST (UK) »
I have also spent years trying to trace a George Wilson connected with my ancestors but it's such a common name and the records don't show enough information to separate one from the other.  But, lookee here,
Name:   
George Wilson
Event Type:   
Death
Registration Quarter:   
Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year:   
Registration District:   
Eastry
County:   
Kent
Event Place:   
Eastry, Kent, England
Birth Year (Estimated):   
or register for free at familysearch and follow the link and look at the bottom of the page and select page 4 and you'll find the deaths of many Georges who were born in Kent around 1828.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?q.givenName=George&q.surname=Wilson&q.birthLikePlace=Maidstone%2C%20Kent&q.birthLikeDate.from=1826&q.birthLikeDate.to=1830&count=20&offset=60&m.defaultFacets=on&m.queryRequireDefault=on&m.facetNestCollectionInCategory=on
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Willson (Wilson) census lookup please 1841 to 1861
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 June 20 11:33 BST (UK) »
Good find Ian -- but according to the initial post by Dutch Miss Marple -- George wilson was shown as  'Soldier, deceased' on his daughter's marriage certificate in 1876.

If the George Wilson whose Army papers were on Find My Past is the correct one -- he was discharged from the Army in 1870 as unfit for further serveice (from memory he had varicose veins).

Unfortunately there is no actual evidence that it's the same George -- except he WAS a soldier, he was from Kent and he was the correct age. There is no indication of marital status or next of kin.

Hence we are presumably looking for a George Wilson who died between 1871 (when he is in Plymouth, Devon - with his wife and children) -- still a serving soldier!

The other George Wilson of roughly the same age -- may be shown on the 1871 as a Chelsea Pensioner and unmarried. He is an inmate in Dover Union Workhouse.

I think it is this latter George Wilson whose Army papers are on Find My Past.

The actual George's death should be amongst Army deaths I think - providing he was still serving.

Back to the drawing board!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.