Author Topic: J W Hellary  (Read 855 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: J W Hellary
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 June 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
Looking at the war diary, I would venture the guess that he sustained his wound on 17 September 1917.  The war diary records " Enemy more active, shelling the 6 inch How(itzer) positions....one of 150 SB (Siege Battery) guns received two direct hits ....  The enemy artillery activity for all the preceding September days is described as little, or below normal or quiet.  Accurate enemy fire that hit one of the guns would almost certainly have resulted in casualties - note that Gun Shot Wound is the overall term for wounds from artillery and mortars as well as riflefire.

At the time, the headquarters of the group was at Ablain St Nazaire north of Arras.  Battery positions would be around that area but are not given in this diary.  It may be possible to find them.

There is no mention of casualties but that is, unfortunately, quite normal.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 June 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
A look at the diary for the period before September shows the battery was at Vermelles when the event occurred.

MaxD

PS - Would welcome your response to the query about George on your other thread?

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 June 20 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD,
Sorry for not replying to the query about George Hellary.I did not realise that I put it in the Armed Forces section. I should of checked before I wrote my question.Thank you for all your replies to my queries. Thank you Annette Ellen.
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.
Steel, McNab, Christie, Kelly, Fraser.