Author Topic: John Ball and Ann Kyte revisited  (Read 292 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
John Ball and Ann Kyte revisited
« on: Sunday 28 June 20 17:12 BST (UK) »
We came across this marriage in Carol Ryan's transcription of South Normanton marriages some years back:

John Ball married Ann Kyte (also Cort / Clite) on November 27th 1820. He was born about 1800.

My question today: who were his parents (or siblings?) A possible clue - the marriage was witnessed by John Ball and Grace Ball (parents? brother and sister?)

Any thoughts?

Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Ball and Ann Kyte revisited
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
Family Search have images of Derbyshire Parish registers. You need to be signed in to view results (creating an account is free)
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1911752

Search there and if there is a camera icon by the result click on that and you'll be able to view the image.

e.g. this is the marriage you are talking about 
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DBT1-C4?cc=1911752

Oddly there were two John Ball marriages on that page, one married in June and one in November

No indication as to the relationship (if any) to the witnesses but searching the same database for baptisms of a John Ball c 1800 may bring a result.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 June 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
PS if you have access to Ancestry they too have images for Derbyshire Parish Registers.

Boo

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 20 18:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've seen the hand written records

There are actually three John Ball marriages within the year:

John Ball to Mary Ball - December 29th 1919   (Can't place his parents: but Mary was illegitimate)
John Ball to Hannah Marriott - June 19th 1820 (I can place his parents)
John Ball to Ann Kyte - November 27th 1820  (The John of my question)

Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 June 20 18:26 BST (UK) »
The marriage participants and the witnesses across many pages of these records swap and swap about.

I guess the other point to remember is that at the end of the 18th century South Normanton's population was estimated at 588 (in 1788) Source: Pamela Sharpe: A Village of Considerable Extent.

She also notes the ever increasing illegitimacy at the time and cites in particular the Ball, Hind, Kyte and Marriott families as major examples.

Alan

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 June 20 18:34 BST (UK) »
How do you know his birth year? Do you have him on later census returns?

If so what is his birthplace ?

If you are working on the theory he was born in South Normanton the only likely baptism I can see is 22 April 1799 recorded as the 'spurious' (illegitimate) son of Jane Ball.

Interestingly a Grace, spurious daughter of Jane Ball, was baptised on 1st July 1807 at South Normanton so even if she is not the witness names are often repeated in families.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 June 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
Apologies, your post led me to believe that you were re-visiting this 'transcription' entry.

Having now searched previous posts I see that isn't the case and you have lots of information and records for associated families so I'll leave you to it as I doubt I'd be able to add anything you don't already know.

Boo