Author Topic: Thompson-Boyd  (Read 2617 times)

Offline CalaBee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson-Boyd
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 July 20 08:18 BST (UK) »
Wow Maddy, where do you find this information?  :D
I noted previously that Mr Thompson Boyd married 'Mrs' Amy Broadway in Philadelphia 1888, both of Cairo.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 July 20 08:27 BST (UK) »

Very bad scan, but there is this marriage notice in the Daily Telegraph Thursday,  June 3, 1880 :

"BROADWAY - MEYRICK On the 2[?]th ult. at West London [?] by the Rev. Henry Varley, James Broadway of C[?- could be Cairo] to Amy, daughter of the late George Meyrick of [?]."

I had fingers crossed for the father's name being Edward (to match up with the father of Amy who died in Australia in 1896), so maybe a wild goose chase I've started.  It is intriguing though, that James Broadway was a dentist.

Edited to add: (Dublin Daily Express, 26 September 1861)

Broadway and Scully - September 2, at the Consulate, Cairo, Eygpt, Mr. James Broadway, dentist, Moskee, Cairo, son of William Broadway, Esq., Salem House, Pangbourne, near Reading, to Jane, second daughter of the late Mr. Simon Scully, engineer, formerly of Belfast.

Offline CalaBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 July 20 08:31 BST (UK) »
The dates are all very interesting,
I wonder if Edgar Thompson-Boyd was a student / working with James Broadway.
James died in 1887, and in 1888 Mrs Amy Broadway married Mr Thompson Boyd in Philadelphia.

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 July 20 08:43 BST (UK) »
great news CalaBee. please let us know the result of the death certificate. Do you know they can be downloaded online?
Good work gaffy.

Offline CalaBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 July 20 08:44 BST (UK) »
I'll get straight onto that, and absolutey I will let you know.
Thank you so much

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 July 20 08:48 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention on the detailed death rego of Vic bmd's says Edgars father was Thompson Boyd and mother Elizabeth Anne Ogg

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:20 BST (UK) »

Broadway and Scully - September 2, at the Consulate, Cairo, Eygpt, Mr. James Broadway, dentist, Moskee, Cairo, son of William Broadway, Esq., Salem House, Pangbourne, near Reading, to Jane, second daughter of the late Mr. Simon Scully, engineer, formerly of Belfast.

Yes, son Sigismund's (medical student)  marriage to Blanche WALSH (widow) in 1886 has father  James BROADWAY, dentist. They can be found in the 1891 census at Lurline Gardens, Battersea also with sister Beatrice BROADWAY (c1869).
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QS3X-12M

Wow Maddy, where do you find this information?  :D

I love looking at old newspapers. I mostly use British Library Newspapers, free to search online via my Australian National Library card - are you in Oz? Here's the link to obtain a card and start the incredibly engrossing and time consuming habit! Other libraries have similar access.  :)
https://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/registration

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:24 BST (UK) »
Really flimsy lead here, but it might be worth exploring IF it should turn out that the Amy who died in 1896 was indeed his wife (the  previous wife's identity needs to be bottomed out), anyhow, it's a marriage notice from the Philadelphia Inquirer of 20 October 1888: BOYD-BROADWAY.-October 17, 1888, by Rev. W.H. Burrell, at his residence, No. 43 Cooper Street, Camden, N.J., Mr. THOMPSON BOYD to Mrs. AMY BROADWAY, both late of Cairo, Eygpt, now of Philadelphia

Just to add - marriage entry Thos. BOYD and Amy BROADWAY 16 Oct 1888 at Camden, New Jersey
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FZGT-7ZH

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 July 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
maddys52….. Fantastic sleuthing..... lets hope the death cert of Amy will fill the gaps and link it all together.... fingers crossed.