Author Topic: Lancashire Archives Look-up Request Robert Brotherton was born 1846  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lancashire Archives Look-up Request Robert Brotherton was born 1846
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon

Please may I ask are look-up requests generally carried out via online resources such as Ancestry etc?

Is it usual practice to hire a genealogist to search Lancashire Archives for burial records, for example? The information I am looking for from burial registers isn't on any website.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Amanda
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire Archives
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 14:27 BST (UK) »
There are people on RootsChat who will do a look-up when they are visiting.
You mention online resources such as Ancestry. RootsChat Help section - Guidelines for posting: "Do not ask for look-ups from commercial sources". If someone gives you information from a commercial source, that's their decision, but you're not allowed to ask for a look-up from a named commercial source.
Cowban

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
There are people on RootsChat who will do a look-up when they are visiting.
You mention online resources such as Ancestry. RootsChat Help section - Guidelines for posting: "Do not ask for look-ups from commercial sources". If someone gives you information from a commercial source, that's their decision, but you're not allowed to ask for a look-up from a named commercial source.

Hi

Thank you. Sorry, I see what you mean. My bad. I actually meant confined to commercial resource. 👍
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

guest189040

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
The Archives are closed at present and a physical search within the centre is not likely to be possible for quite a while.

If you give the Archive a call they may be able to undertake the search for you, probably for a fee.

The Lan OPC website is the Online Parish Clerks which is a great Lancastrian resource, if you have not tried this site then I suggest that you do so.  You can search the whole of Lancashire or just a local Church

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 14:57 BST (UK) »
Is it in connection with this thread

topics merged
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:09 BST (UK) »
Though the big sites (Ancestry/FindMyPast/The Genealogist etc) have lots and lots of info there are also other places to look.
You didn't mention a name, place or time frame but there's Deceased Online (fee involved) Family Search, Lancs OPC, Find a Grave etc some smaller sites such as St Helens council have search facilities for St Helen's Cemetery.
all of which are free - may be more free ones if you do a web search.

Often a newspaper search for a death notice can produce details of 'where' someone was buried - so if you do need to go the archives route when they re-open that would change the request from 'research' to a request for a copy of the register entry (and greatly reduce the associated fee).

Boo

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
You may already know this, but, in addition to the lan-opc project which is the super site for Lancashire you can also access freely at http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lancashire Archives Look-up Request Robert Brotherton was born 1846
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
Goof afternoon

I appreciate that at the current time trips to the archives are off-limits but please may I request a search when convenient to do so.

My ancestor, Robert Brotherton was born 1846 in Burnley and died Nov 1920 in Kelbrook. I have tried every avenue I can think of to find him because he wasn't taken back to Burnley to be buried with his family as confirmed by on-line resources. Pendle council have carried out researches of the six public cemeteries they are in charge of and came up with nothing. He had family in Earby but I viewed the records myself so I know he isn't there. I also checked St Mary's in Kelbrook and to my knowledge he isn't there either.

I have checked MIs in pretty much every graveyard in the current Pendle district, bearing in mind Kelbrook and Barnoldswick were in Yorkshire at the time of his death.

The only obvious option left to me is that he is buried in Barnoldswick at one of the cemeteries whose records after 1919 are kept in the archives. I believe the churchyard at the top of the list would be St Mary Le Ghyll. There is a public section where another ancestor is probably buried (I know she's there but it's unconfirmed which section of the graveyard she is in).

I have to consider that Robert wasn't taken back to Burnley either for reasons of cost or it was just decided to bury him in the vicinity of where he died (he was visiting/staying at his daughter's).

I've tried to think of the obvious reasons of me not being able to find him: no headstone, died in a county different to that he usually lived in, if that made any difference, parish registers for Yorkshire are not as accessible online as Lancashire 👏👏. Why he wasn't buried with family I have no clue.

Potentially his daughter, Mary Alice Hargreaves (aka Mellor) born 1867 died 1930 Barnoldswick could be buried with him.

Records from Briggs & Duxbury in Barnoldswick have been checked too to no avail.

Any advise or assistance available in the coming months would be very much appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Kind regards
Amanda 😁

Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
The Archives are closed at present and a physical search within the centre is not likely to be possible for quite a while.

If you give the Archive a call they may be able to undertake the search for you, probably for a fee.

The Lan OPC website is the Online Parish Clerks which is a great Lancastrian resource, if you have not tried this site then I suggest that you do so.  You can search the whole of Lancashire or just a local Church

Thank you for the info. I have been using OPC website for years. Amazing 😁. However, despite trying every alternative to names, dates etc and having other family graves I am pretty confident my ancestor is not recorded in Lancashire as it is now. I believe he's in Barnoldswick.

I have created a post with a request.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Amanda
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire