Author Topic: Rocktown O'Neill's  (Read 292 times)

Offline grannypammy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rocktown O'Neill's
« on: Thursday 02 July 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
My family history has it that my O'Neill family lived in Rocktown in the Parish of Lavey.. My grandfather and his brother both handed this information down to me but I could never make a connection on paper as the records are not available...My ggg grandfather Hugh O'Neill born around 1795 (he is recorded age 88 in 1883 on his death record in Dungiven) possibly born in Rocktown ..It looks like Hugh moved to Dungiven and married Mary Irons 12 August 1826 in St. Patricks RC Church ...Mary was baptized on the same date into the catholic church and BEFORE CLANDESTINELY MARRIED is recorded on the marriage certificate ...Their son John my gg grandfather was born 6 months later in Dungiven ..I can not find any further records on the family and I would dearly love to make a connection again with my Dungiven O'Neill and Rocktown family ..Is there any Rocktown O'Neill's out there that have their DNA results on Gedmatch etc that I could possible connect with ?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rocktown O'Neill's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
If you've looked at all possible surviving records (Lavey R.C. Parish has fantastic online records with lots of O'Neills) it might be a good idea to join an O'Neill DNA project if you've already your DNA results. Just google something like 'O'Neill DNA project' to see what might be available. Here's one result (you haven't mentioned which company you've used)-
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/oneill/about/background
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline grannypammy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rocktown O'Neill's
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey for your reply ..I have checked out Lavey R.C. records but the birth of Hugh O'Neill appears to be before records began in Lavey...
 I also have joined The Ancient & Royal Family Of O'Neill's group but unfortunately I have no match with any members.
I will keep digging I am sure I will hit gold eventually

Thank you