Author Topic: The Nicholson Family of New Building and Ardmore.  (Read 1759 times)

Offline caitlynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Nicholson Family of New Building and Ardmore.
« on: Thursday 02 July 20 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to connect the Nicholsons of New Building and Ardmore Thank you.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: The Nicholson Family of New Building and Ardmore.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
Have you any dates?

Newbuildings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbuildings

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:29 BST (UK) »
Caitlynn has sent me a personal message which i am appending here.

Hi thank you for replying so quickly. I know of an Edward Nicholson, from New Buildings who bought Breech Hill House in 1879, from a George Alexander Kennedy - Skipton. The Nicholson's occupied the house until it was sold in 1989, when it became a Hotel. The Edward Nicholson was described as coming from a wealthy family in New Buildings.
There is in my family tree a Nicholson, but I have not yet been able to fit him in, have always been told that he was part of this family.
Who are the people in the photo.

Caitlynn - it's better to put information on your thread so that other RootsChatters can see it.
You have not attached a photo (you are not able to attach one in a PM).

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:44 BST (UK) »
I know of an Edward Nicholson, from New Buildings who bought Breech Hill House in 1879.......

There is this death in 1883 at Beech Hill for an Edward Nicholson aged 79. The informant was his son also living at Beech Hill.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1884/06336/4817025.pdf

KG

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
The Will of Rebecca Stewart late of Beech Hill in the County of Londonderry Widow deceased who died 7 February 1861 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of Abraham Harvey Stewart of Londonderry Esquire the sole Executor.
Will mentions daughter Eliza McCausland wife of Henry Macy Skipton.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 20 14:54 BST (UK) »

Thomas Francis Nicholson (informant for his father’s death-reply #3) married Frances Lacy Byrne in 1900.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1900/10364/5772897a.pdf

Cyril Anthony de Lacey Nicholson born 2nd February 1902
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01911/1741117.pdf

From: PRONI Will Calendars https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Full Abstract :
Nicholson, Frances Agnes Lucy of Beechill county Londonderry widow died 4 May 1948 Administration Belfast 21 November to Cyril Anthony de Lacy Nicholson Queen's counsel. Effects £1125 18s. 7d.

Full Abstract :
Nicholson, Cyril Anthony de Lacy of Beechill Ardmore county Londonderry Queens Counsellor died 2 May 1963 at Hotel Mirimar Mohammedia Casablanca Morocco Probate Belfast 10 December to Eleanor Gerad Nicholson the widow. Effects £40993 5s.

KG

Offline caitlynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 July 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. I am trying to connect a James William Ferderic Nicholson to this family. Although born in Ireland,  he was an architect and spent most of his time practicing in Manchester England. He met and married an Elizabeth McLaughlin in Coleraine in 1878, but all three of his children were born in England.Could he be a brother of Edward Nicholson d 1883, who also spent time working in England, where his son Thomas Francis was also born.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 July 20 17:35 BST (UK) »
The Nicholson/McLaughlin marriage gives his father as William Nicholson (also an architect)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1878/11115/8068830.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 July 20 17:38 BST (UK) »
Extract- Londonderry Sentinel, 8 Oct.1878: ... Coleraine, by the Rev. H. Henry, P.P., assisted the Very Rev. E. O’Neill, Rochdale, James William Frederic, only son of William Nicholson, Esq., architect, Portland Crescent, Plymouth Grove, Manchester, to Elizabeth, third daughter of John M'Laughlin, Esq...