Author Topic: William Robertson married Margaret McKay?  (Read 4610 times)

Offline deniseje

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Robertson married Margaret McKay?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 19 January 24 03:29 GMT (UK) »
This is the first time I have seen a post which mentions Margaret Mackay and Margaret Fraser as both being wives of William Robertson. I believe this is correct. Margaret Mackay was his first wife and Margaret Fraser his second. William Robertson married his house servant Margaret Fraser in 1842. She was listed in the Census of 1841. I have proof in the form of certificates and baptism records that Margaret Mackay was the mother of William, John, Margaret, Angus and Mary Robertson. Their mother is not listed on the 1841 census so I assume she is dead.

Name   William Robertson
Gender   Male
Marriage Date   15 Dec. 1842
Marriage Place   Moy and Dalarossie, Inverness, Scotland
Spouse   Margaret Fraser
FHL Film Number   1068236
Close

Then William Robertson and Margaret Fraser went on to have five children- Duncan, George, Catherine, James and Donald. Mary is listed as their daughter on many family trees but this is not correct. Her mother was Margaret Mackay.
Name   Mary Robertson
Gender   Female
Age   0
Birth Date   13 Apr. 1835
Baptism Date   17 Apr. 1835
Baptism Place   Alvie,Inverness,Scotland
Father   Wm. Robertson
Mother   Margaret Mackay

I am convinced that Margaret Fraser his second wife was his housekeeper in 1841. I hope this helps you. I am so pleased to see that someone else has the same idea as me. It is very difficult to find proof as there are so many William Robertsons and Margaret Frasers. I'm hoping that if I can get some DNA proof eventually. This is my husband's family.

Offline deniseje

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 19 January 24 04:01 GMT (UK) »
One more thing in regard to William Robertson and Margaret McKay. Their eldest son William married Margaret McGregor and also immigrated to Australia. Their second  John arrived in Victoria in 1852. William and his wife and two sons arrived in 1858. William also lived in Victoria for many years but after the death of his wife, went to New South Wales where he was a pioneer in the western districts of that state. You are welcome to view my family tree- Ewin/Robertson Family Tree- owner Denise Ewin. I have done extensive research and back my research up with documentation. I don't know what happened to William and John's siblings-Margaret, Angus and Mary.

Offline deniseje

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 19 January 24 20:58 GMT (UK) »
One more thing in regard to William Robertson and Margaret McKay. Their eldest son William married Margaret McGregor and also immigrated to Australia. Their second  John arrived in Victoria in 1852. William and his wife and two sons arrived in 1858. William also lived in Victoria for many years but after the death of his wife, went to New South Wales where he was a pioneer in the western districts of that state. You are welcome to view my family tree- Ewin/Robertson Family Tree- owner Denise Ewin. I have done extensive research and back my research up with documentation. I don't know what happened to William and John's siblings-Margaret, Angus and Mary.

Offline deniseje

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 19 January 24 21:00 GMT (UK) »
One more thing in regard to William Robertson and Margaret McKay. Their eldest son William married Margaret McGregor and also immigrated to Australia. Their second  John arrived in Victoria in 1852. William and his wife and two sons arrived in 1858. William also lived in Victoria for many years but after the death of his wife, went to New South Wales where he was a pioneer in the western districts of that state. You are welcome to view my family tree- Ewin/Robertson Family Tree on Ancestry- owner Denise Ewin. I have done extensive research and back my research up with documentation. I don't know what happened to William and John's siblings-Margaret, Angus and Mary.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 19 January 24 21:14 GMT (UK) »

deniseje,

If you position the curser outside the 'quote' brackets, you will be able to type a reply.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline deniseje

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 19 January 24 21:21 GMT (UK) »
"
One more thing in regard to William Robertson and Margaret McKay. Their eldest son William married Margaret McGregor and also immigrated to Australia. Their second  John arrived in Victoria in 1852. William and his wife and two sons arrived in 1858. William also lived in Victoria for many years but after the death of his wife, went to New South Wales where he was a pioneer in the western districts of that state. You are welcome to view my family tree on Ancestry- Ewin/Robertson Family Tree- owner Denise Ewin. I have done extensive research and back my research up with documentation. I don't know what happened to William and John's siblings-Margaret, Angus and Mary.
"

Offline deniseje

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 19 January 24 21:22 GMT (UK) »
"
This is the first time I have seen a post which mentions Margaret Mackay and Margaret Fraser as both being wives of William Robertson. I believe this is correct. Margaret Mackay was his first wife and Margaret Fraser his second. William Robertson married his house servant Margaret Fraser in 1842. She was listed in the Census of 1841. I have proof in the form of certificates and baptism records that Margaret Mackay was the mother of William, John, Margaret, Angus and Mary Robertson. Their mother is not listed on the 1841 census so I assume she is dead.

Name   William Robertson
Gender   Male
Marriage Date   15 Dec. 1842
Marriage Place   Moy and Dalarossie, Inverness, Scotland
Spouse   Margaret Fraser
FHL Film Number   1068236
Close

Then William Robertson and Margaret Fraser went on to have five children- Duncan, George, Catherine, James and Donald. Mary is listed as their daughter on many family trees but this is not correct. Her mother was Margaret Mackay.
Name   Mary Robertson
Gender   Female
Age   0
Birth Date   13 Apr. 1835
Baptism Date   17 Apr. 1835
Baptism Place   Alvie,Inverness,Scotland
Father   Wm. Robertson
Mother   Margaret Mackay

I am convinced that Margaret Fraser his second wife was his housekeeper in 1841. I hope this helps you. I am so pleased to see that someone else has the same idea as me. It is very difficult to find proof as there are so many William Robertsons and Margaret Frasers. I'm hoping that if I can get some DNA there will be proof eventually. This is my husband's family.
"