Author Topic: Australian Armed Forces First World War and Australian inquests  (Read 394 times)

Offline LittleMy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Australian Armed Forces First World War and Australian inquests
« on: Saturday 04 July 20 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hello! New to this forum so be kind  ;D
I'm currently researching my great-grandfather, who served in the 9th battalion of the Australian Imperial Forces in WWI. I have his army records and his Veteran's Affairs file, but haven't been able to find any photos of him: no one in the family has any, although he sent some home they were mislaid (it's a long story!). Does anyone know of anywhere one can search photos of WWI where soldiers might be named?

Secondly, he died in 1942 in Queensland and there was an inquest (it's on his death certificate) - does anyone know a way of getting hold of inquest records? The ones on the State Archives website only go up to 1905 for some reason.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Armed Forces First World War and Australian inquests
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 July 20 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Was he from Queensland originally?
Have a read of:
http://qanzac100.slq.qld.gov.au/research-hub/find-your-soldier
There is a database of Queensland WWI soldiers photos that were published in a local newspaper - you need to search by surname as they're mostly listed by initials only e.g. as "J Smith"

It's also possible that you might find newspaper records for him (primarily Trove) - being a little creative with searching as the same man might mentioned under "J Smith", "John Smith", "John, son of Mr Thomas Smith", etc.

Many records are not online. It appears that to find an inquest from those years will probably require a trip to the archives (see attached pdf).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 20 04:50 BST (UK) »
Secondly, he died in 1942 in Queensland and there was an inquest (it's on his death certificate) - does anyone know a way of getting hold of inquest records? The ones on the State Archives website only go up to 1905 for some reason.

QLD archives have a contact form you can fill out online. They will let you know if they hold it and how much to obtain a copy. I have found them to be very helpful in the past. Remember to add as much info as you can with your request. 1942 should not be a problem to obtain.

https://www.qld.gov.au/contact-us

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 20 06:32 BST (UK) »
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline LittleMy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
Wow, you are all SO helpful thank you! I will follow up all those avenues and see what happens,

With much gratitude

Cecilia