Author Topic: Kincardine O'Neil - William Davidson  (Read 462 times)

Offline faystaub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kincardine O'Neil - William Davidson
« on: Monday 06 July 20 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Recently you all helped me track my GG Grandfather John Angus. I have now received Sheriff Paternity records and I am on the trail of his father.
The Paternity Decree 1836, lists him as William Davidson, Upper Craigton, Kincardine O'Neil. I can only find one Wm Davidson, Craigton, Kincardine O'Neil in the 1841 census with wife Barbara and 2 children.
I have found an 1835 marriage of Wm Davidson and Barbara McDonald in Lumphanan.
Estimating his birth from the census, I place him (if this is the correct Wm which I suspect it is based on the 1841 census), as being born 1810-1812.
I have then found a birth for illegitimate twins, Wm and George Davidson b. 1812 in Kirkhill, Old Deer to Jane Towers and William Davidson which I think may be my Wm.
There are several family trees out there linking Wm and Barbara but the dates of birth are all over the place and don't match those I believe to be correct. Most have Barbara born in 1821 which makes her 14 at marriage, the 1841 census has her age as 25 making her birth yr abt. 1816.
Are there any connections to this line of Davidsons with information that may correct or confirm any I have here?
Regards Fay

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Kincardine O'Neil - William Davidson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 July 20 17:49 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 July 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
The census (FreeCEN transcription) lists the family at Upper Craigton, Kincardine O'Neil: William, 30; Barbara; 25; William, 5; and James, 3.

Adults' ages in the 1841 census were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years. The census was taken on 7 June 1841 so if their ages are accurate this means that William was born between 8 June 1806 and 7 June 1811, and Barbara between 8 June 1811 and 7 June 1816. William and the two children were born in Aberdeenshire but Barbara was not.

William Davidson and Barbara McDonald had William in 1835, James, 1838, John and Barbara 1841, Fanny 1843 and Elisa and Margaret 1846.

In 1851 the family is at Hill of Trustach, Banchory-Ternan: William, 40; Barbara, 36; John and Barbara, 9; Fanny, 7; Margaret and Ilspit, 5; and William, 3; all born in Kincardine O'Neil.

If the ages in 1851 are accurate, William was born in 1810/1811 and Barbara in 1814/1815.

I have not found them in 1861 or later. Did they perhaps emigrate?

Why do you think the twin born in 1812 at the other end of the county might be yours?

Never trust any online tree, especially one that suggests a marriage at age 14. It was legal to marry at 14, but almost unheard of.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline faystaub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 July 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian, that all makes sense now. I will follow that line, which is where I was thinking I would go but got lost in looking for parents for William Davidson. The link to the twins came from trying to backtrack and may well have been me being led in the wrong direction.
I was hoping the marriage of William and Barbara may have been the clue.