Author Topic: Sarah Jane Minto & George Cruckshanks marriage c1881-1885  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Jane Minto & George Cruckshanks marriage c1881-1885
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 July 20 10:35 BST (UK) »
Sarah Jane, unmarried, (born c1860 Haswell, Durham)

Dec 1857 Chester le S. 10a   459
MINTO George
REED ANN

1871: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBZR-23M

1881: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q271-CZ9Q

1891, Ann: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:H3D8-MT2

1901, Ann: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSHG-S95

MINTO, SARAH  JANE mmn REED 
GRO Reference: 1859  S Quarter in EASINGTON  Volume 10A  Page 322

MINTO, JOHN  REED mmn REED 
GRO Reference: 1860  D Quarter in EASINGTON  Volume 10A  Page 283

MINTO, JOSEPH mmn REED 
GRO Reference: 1862  D Quarter in EASINGTON  Volume 10A  Page 312

MINTO, ELIZABETH mmn REED 
GRO Reference: 1866  S Quarter in EASINGTON  Volume 10A  Page 363

MINTO, MARGARET mmn REED 
GRO Reference: 1868  D Quarter in EASINGTON  Volume 10A  Page 389

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 July 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jamjar. yes that is the family and the information I have.

The problem is the illusive marriage of Sarah Jane to George. However I have ordered a couple of new certificates as mentioned a few posts up and wait to see if they help unravel the mystery.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
Update #2

I have received the certificates I was waiting for and alas i do not think they help.

The death certificate of a Sarah Jane Cruikshank in South Shields in 1887 aged 27. Although the age is right her husband is named as James George Cruickshank a sugar boiler. This couple had a daughter Annie Beatrice who was born 1886 (registered 1887). Her parents are listed as Sarah Jane Cruickshank deceased and James George Cruickshank a confectioner. On both occasions the address is Percy Street, Westoe.

I could not find a marriage of a Sarah Jane to a James George Cruickshank.

There is a marriage of a James Crookshanks to a Helen Phillips in 1889 that may be the same James. Id so he was born c1864 and was a newsagent in 1891. also this James was born c1864

None of this information ties in with the mention in 1885 in George Minto's will that states that his daughter Sarah Jane is married to George Cruckshanks of Craddock Street, Bishop Auckland an insurance agent. There is no sign of George at that address in 1881 or 1891.

I believe that Sarah Jane Cruickshank and James George Cruickshank are a different couuple to Sarah Jane (Minto) Cruckshanks and George Cruckshanks. Also if Sarah Jane had died before her father (in July 1887) then I would have expected a note to this effect on the will.

Yes there are lots of variations of spellings of Cruckshanks and i have used them as they appear.

One last though is could a lay minister marry people in the 1880's. I ask this as Sarah Jane's father was a Wesleyan (Methodist) lay preacher and so could he have married her but it not be recorded properly? I have looked it up online but could not find anything that answered it clearly. I have posted this last query in the common room also.

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 July 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
There a burial on Durhamrecordsonline of

Sarah Jane Cruickshank
Aged 27
Of Westoe
Buried 1887
Easington district

That's from a free search so I don't know the parish and burial date but that fits with the death you have.

For whatever reason it looks like Sarah and George didn't marry.

It's possible George Minto only knew him as George Cruickshank and his full name was James George.

I have lots of wills where beneficiaries have died after the date of the will but before the testor and the wills never updated or amended so this wasn't uncommon.

Jay

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 July 20 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Yes that burial will be for the death certificate I have. Everything is the same, name age and abode.

The inconsistencies are that in the will of George Minto 1885 Sarah Jane's husband is listed as an Insurance Agent and living in Craddock Street, Bishop Auckland. When the Sarah Jane Cruickshank dies on 9 Feb 1887 her "husband" is a sugar boiler, he is a confectioner on 24 Feb 1887 when he registers the birth of their daughter (born 1886). You could well be right that this couple did not marry given the late registration of the birth.

However I do think James George Cruickshank and George Cruckshanks are different people because of the very different alleged occupations of the two. Also as Sarah Jane Cruickshank died on 9 Feb 1887 that is almost 5 full months before George Minto died and plenty of time for him to be informed and a note added to the will.

All a bit of a mystery.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 July 20 23:08 BST (UK) »
In his will of 1885 George Minto (1809-1887) names his daughter Sarah Jane as Sarah Jane Cruckshanks wife of George Cruckshanks, commercial traveller,

in the will of George Minto 1885 Sarah Jane's husband is listed as an Insurance Agent

Which of those is correct?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 August 20 05:05 BST (UK) »
I do not know whether I am coming or going on this query but I have on my extended line a Sarah Jane Minto baptized Houghton-le-Spring 16 September 1849.  Father Peter Ditchburn Minto of Chester-le-Street. Mother Ann Mitchinson of Houghton-le-Spring. A Peter Minto died age 53 Houghton-le-Spring. 

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 August 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
In his will of 1885 George Minto (1809-1887) names his daughter Sarah Jane as Sarah Jane Cruckshanks wife of George Cruckshanks, commercial traveller,

in the will of George Minto 1885 Sarah Jane's husband is listed as an Insurance Agent

Which of those is correct?

Apologies, my mistake.

George Cruckshanks was an insurance agent. The commercial traveller was Ralph William Golightly a beneficiary of the will.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 August 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
I do not know whether I am coming or going on this query but I have on my extended line a Sarah Jane Minto baptized Houghton-le-Spring 16 September 1849.  Father Peter Ditchburn Minto of Chester-le-Street. Mother Ann Mitchinson of Houghton-le-Spring. A Peter Minto died age 53 Houghton-le-Spring.

Hi, That Sarah Jane Minto is a different person to the one in this thread. The one in this thread was born 1859 and was the daughter of George Minto and his wife Ann Reed. The one you mention with the father Peter Minto may be a relative to some degree but I see there are different candidates for Peter's grandfather of various public trees so i can not say conclusively.

David