Author Topic: Does anybody like the new normal?  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody like the new normal?
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Seems that there's some good news coming out of Oxford. 

Fingers crossed and all other bits and pieces that are attached   :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 16 July 20 03:18 BST (UK) »
I have a transparent shield so. Look more like a welder !

One good by thing is the thousands of people who've given up smoking .
Air is so much purer .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 16 July 20 09:03 BST (UK) »

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 16 July 20 10:09 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine said why not wear a visor face shield rather than a mask, but he's not a glasses wearer - It's hard enough seeing out of glasses with a mask on . If we wore visors, it'd be like looking through two surfaces at different gaps from our eyes!
I don't need any clothes i don't think , but we would sometimes go to one of our localish 'intu' shopping centres and eat there too. The prospect of having to go in there with mask on all the time and then book to eat - I just won't go there and that won't help the shops in these indoor centres, nor the food outlets.
North East of England

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 16 July 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine said why not wear a visor face shield rather than a mask, but he's not a glasses wearer - It's hard enough seeing out of glasses with a mask on . If we wore visors, it'd be like looking through two surfaces at different gaps from our eyes!
I don't need any clothes i don't think , but we would sometimes go to one of our localish 'intu' shopping centres and eat there too. The prospect of having to go in there with mask on all the time and then book to eat - I just won't go there and that won't help the shops in these indoor centres, nor the food outlets.

It is possible to see, it takes a bit of getting used to and you need to chose carefully. The first set of goggle we had at work were hard to see through as they kept moving on our heads but at work I sometimes have to wear my glasses, goggles and a face shield.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 16 July 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
The government believes that wearing a face covering will make people feel safer but in my case it is having the opposite effect. Since lockdown shopping has not been pleasant and with a mask will be less so, I have already cut back on where I do shop even though I had just started going back to them. Coffeee shops will be out as far as i am concerned. In my local Asda this morning I heard two members of staff talking and they cannot understand why they do not have to wear a mask if the customers must, they are after all in that environment for hours on end.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 16 July 20 11:16 BST (UK) »
I think masks and face coverings are going to take a lot of getting used to - both the wearing of them and seeing people in them. How much use they are going to be is another question. I was watching someone giving an interview wearing a mask and during a short time, he adjusted it twice and touched it about 3 times. Look at the example Boris Johnson set the other day - he took his mask off to talk, screwed it up and shoved it in his pocket. I presume he later took it out and put it on again. I suppose eventually it will become as natural as putting on a seat belt when you get in a car but not at the moment.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 16 July 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
It is surprising  how few people are wearing masks in shops, I wear one in a shop but not outside, it is just getting  used to it, I am not quite colour coordinated  but I have a choice

My church has resumed  some services, have to book in advance because of spacing , that suits me though, not allowed to linger  inside the church, no communion  wine offered but that suits me also,  it was all very tastefully done, so not quite the norm but getting there. Whatever it takes to get back to normal I will do as far as I can

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 16 July 20 12:00 BST (UK) »
I suppose eventually it will become as natural as putting on a seat belt when you get in a car.

I sincerely hope not!  There's absolutely nothing natural about the wearing of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing calls for them to be worn every winter during the normal flu season.

I've just ordered some hand-made ones from a local micro-business, but I'm already looking forward to the day I can burn them.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.