Author Topic: Does anybody like the new normal?  (Read 4521 times)

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody like the new normal?
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 16 July 20 13:32 BST (UK) »
I strikes me that the new normal is constant change. 

In our "bubble" this morning, we were discussing the new regulations. Nobody knew what the distance requirement was supposed to be after the 24th. I went on line to the .gov.co.uk site - not a word that I could find. 

But you are allowed to not wear a mask if the wearing would cause you distress. I will try my best not to be distressed. 

Regards 

Chas
(wearing a mask as I type - just to be on the safe side)
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 16 July 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
But, if I walk into a shop minus mask, does someone have the right to tell me to 'do one'? Does a shopkeeper have the right to bar anyone they want from their premises?

If I then tell them that wearing a mask causes me distress (it does) will they believe me and then let me in? Or will I need a note from the doctor? This is the first I'd heard of this 'distress' factor. I thought it had to be on medical grounds which, in itself, covers an awful lot of scenarios.

As for the bubbles - sorry, totally lost! Today it might be 6 members of the family in one bubble but tomorrow it could be 10 friends in 2 bubbles etc etc.

I've given up trying to work it all out (not that I tried very hard in the first place because the whole thing, whilst I was out and about yesterday, made me suspect I was taking part in some kind of Heath Robinson photo shoot). I shall reluctantly don a mask to go on a bus (because otherwise I won't be allowed on) and to go into my GP's which I shall only do when absolutely necessary (because otherwise I won't be allowed in).

By the way, the 'new normal' on a bus is the driver shoos you away from the door (even wearing a mask) because you apparently have to give the people getting off about a square mile of distance, It is only once you have sat down that you notice all the notices plastered everywhere: re masks, 2 metres (out of date?) etc. It was only half way there that I also noticed a smiley yellow face plastered on the window next to me telling me I could sit there (too late, I already had!)  and red crosses on the windows next to the seats directly in front and adjacent to me.  I felt like a leper!! (sorry, if that's leper-ist).

It all felt as if I'd inadvertently stepped into a Monty Python sketch (but you wouldn't have known I was secretly smiling because my (by now, very sweaty) face was covered).

But, just to show, I was brought up right and know my manners, I still thanked the driver as I got off the bus!!

Please, please, please.. those clever people in Oxford and other places, come up with a vaccine soon before we all need psychotherapy or, in my case. a case of good pinot grigio ( a much more effective therapy).

Wake me when its all over.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 16 July 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own 

5. Exemptions to wearing a face covering where they are mandated   

Bulletpoint number 3 

Regards 

Chas

Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 16 July 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
One good by thing is the thousands of people who've given up smoking .
Air is so much purer .

A request for people not to smoke in queues outside stores. Might be in Scottish Govt. document on Retail.
Also suggestion that customers sitting at outdoor cafe or pub tables don't smoke. Don't remember where I saw that. 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 16 July 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own 

5. Exemptions to wearing a face covering where they are mandated 

I noted age difference for children in England and Scotland. England - children under 11 exempt; Scotland - children under 5. I read U.S. public health guidelines - face coverings not recommended  for children under 2.
People who can't wear face-coverings can carry a card explaining reason. 
Cowban

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 16 July 20 14:35 BST (UK) »

There could at least be some ‘Non Smoking’ outside seating areas.

I certainly don’t want to be smoked over while I’m eating!

Romilly
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cowban

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 16 July 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
Seems to me a time to ban smoking everywhere. I cannot see any useful purpose in the habit. Costs money and often the people who have the least money are those who partake in the habit.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 16 July 20 19:01 BST (UK) »
Banning alcohol outside the home seems a good idea, also cheap perfume and Diesel engines.

Mike