Author Topic: SURRY family of Tollesbury: 1785  (Read 1222 times)

Offline bmanson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
SURRY family of Tollesbury: 1785
« on: Wednesday 24 August 05 17:24 BST (UK) »
We are trying to trace the origins of Robert SURRY who married (1) in Tollesbury Nov 1779 to Elizabeth HOY.  Elizabeth died, perhaps in childbirth, in Tollesbury in May 1783.  Robert SURRY then married in Tollesbury in Jul 1785 to Rebecca LEMON.
From the Tollesbury Bishop's Transcripts we have established that Robert was buried in Tollesbury in Jul 1818.
We do know that the children were Robert (chr.1785), Ja,es (chr. 1786), Elizabeth (chr. 1788), Susanna (chr.1791), and Samuel chr.1792), all born in Tollesbury.  All married in Tollesbury between 1806 and 1824, with the exception of Elizabeth who married in Bradwell-near-Sea.  Their spouses names were Polley, Pewter, Best, Alden, Howard, and Boyton.

Our primary goal is to establish when and where this Robert Surry was born.  We have a "guess" that we may him chr. 1 May 1757 Tolleshunt Major, son of another Robert Surry and Judith.  However, we haven't proved this.

Any information on these Surrys would be wonderful.
Brian
MANSON.SURRY.LOE.WAUGH.McKAY.CHUBB.GLASSOP.MACKINTOSH.PEWTER.VINCENT.HARRISSON.WRIGHT

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SURRY family of Tollesbury: 1785
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 March 07 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I came across this marriage involving a Surry
Essex RO Essex Marriage Registers T/R 103 Vol 71 pp 4524-4529 Panfield
1792 Dec 11 Surry John of Writtle m Challis Sarah Elizabeth Licence
which may be a clue if you need one :D

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 07 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with the immediate question but I've often wondered if there is a join-up betweem my Surry's in Great Chesterford, Essex, and the Tollesbury ones.

I have got as far back as Robert Surry - born about 1756, but unclear as to where.  He married Ann/Hannah Jeffrey in 1780 in Great Chesterford, but I have been unable to trace a baptism for Robert in Great Chesterford.  His children were all born in Great Chesterford.  He was Lime Burner, and died in 1843 in Great Chesterford - too early to have a place of birth recorded in a census :(

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 07 18:11 BST (UK) »
Not far from Tollesbury is Mucking and I saw this D/P 108/1/2 C,M,B 1664-1784 F2
fiche 1 of 2
1752 Nov 20? John Surry m Sarah Ellis both of Horndon