Author Topic: Name and age?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Name and age?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 July 20 03:14 BST (UK) »
Is it Preston Lancs rather than Prestcott for Mary's birth?

I have seen Prescott, Preston and Ormskirk on various tree/records so keeping an open mind.

Just wanted to make the point that the record you had highlighted in red has Preston in it. 

I am not doubting that there may/will be differing birthplaces and spellings of those places over the years.  In a hierarchy of records I would put a birthplace from an official document, even if you have to look at different spellings/accents to do it, over a birthplace that is on a tree unless this comes from an official document. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 July 20 03:25 BST (UK) »
The place that Michael Reilly has on this record is possibly Ballymena, but perhaps spelt Ballimena. The next line is West Sydney.

Do you know which records-set this record is from please? Some posters do not  maintain access to Ance$try especially if access to the original records is available. 

There is a Ballymena in Co Antrim. 

There is also a Bellarena in Co Londonderry

Here is a link to the Townlands in Co Cavan.
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/

Offline Yvonne Donnellon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 July 20 08:14 BST (UK) »
Is it Preston Lancs rather than Prestcott for Mary's birth?

I have seen Prescott, Preston and Ormskirk on various tree/records so keeping an open mind.

Just wanted to make the point that the record you had highlighted in red has Preston in it. 

I am not doubting that there may/will be differing birthplaces and spellings of those places over the years.  In a hierarchy of records I would put a birthplace from an official document, even if you have to look at different spellings/accents to do it, over a birthplace that is on a tree unless this comes from an official document.

I found a birth record on GRO which fits Mary and the registry office is Ormskirk. I have ordered this so will soon have the home address.

Offline Yvonne Donnellon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 July 20 08:29 BST (UK) »
The place that Michael Reilly has on this record is possibly Ballymena, but perhaps spelt Ballimena. The next line is West Sydney.

Do you know which records-set this record is from please? Some posters do not  maintain access to Ance$try especially if access to the original records is available. 

There is a Ballymena in Co Antrim. 

There is also a Bellarena in Co Londonderry

Here is a link to the Townlands in Co Cavan.
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/

There are two records for the 3 girls travelling on the "Africana" the first document was New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896  and the second was the list of Immigrants as inspected by the Immigration Board 1866.

The corresponding record/transcribe on Ancestry for the first document mentioned above is confusing me, it states the location origin as Ennis County Clare. Is this referring to passenger or ship?! Ennis is not a port?  See attachment.

Offline Yvonne Donnellon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 17 July 20 09:01 BST (UK) »
Looking at the passage records for all the girls is throwing up some interesting results
New South Wales, Australia, Immigration Deposit Journals, 1853-1900 for Mary Galligan.  Does this say that Grand Dad paid the deposit via the Roman Catholic clergy?

Offline Yvonne Donnellon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 July 20 09:05 BST (UK) »
And the last from me for now, this is the same passage yet the origin has now Monaghan?!